Hop bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Quick question, I've heard about using marbles to weight the bag so it don't stay on top for dry hopping, is any kind work? like those, will they be ok to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can just toss the hops in. They'll sink to the bottom by the time you rack the beer to your bottling bucket.

I harvest the yeast, so I'm thinking it's cleaner if I dry hop in a bag, but I've been wrong before:D

I use a random piece of stainless. I have a few elbows and hose barbs. I just sanitize one of them and thrown them in the sack.

But I only do this when I dry hop in a keg. If I am dry hopping in the fermenter I don't use a sack (since I don't reuse my yeast it's not an issue).

I never used a weight in my hops bag, but then again, I rarely use bags.

I don't see why they'd need to sink- even floating on top and only partially sinking the beer permeates the hops, and that's all that is needed.

I occasionally use bags for dryhopping, like in the keg, or if I know I want to harvest yeast, but I've never put a weight in it.

Back