Hop Bag Touching Electric Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpmccann

Reaction score
I am in the process of converting my BK into electric. I was wondering if mesh hop bags will now be off limits. :confused: It just dawned on me that I currently use a hop spider with a paint bag hanging down into the BK. It is probably not a good idea to have that touch the electric element I would assume? I also use a plate chiller so I don't want the hop debris getting into that or I would consider just throwing them straight into the boil. What is everyone else doing? Maybe some kind of stainless screen for hops? :mug:

When I use my hop spider I try and keep the bag from touching the element, but I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference unless it's really stuck on there... I know when I've used hop socks they've sometimes got stuck between the bends on the element but I've not seen any issues.

Hate when my sack gets burnt.

Seriously though, it's possible, just not probable. If there is enough liquid film between the sack and element, it will provide enough heat transfer to prevent it. Remember ~215 degrees is the hottest possible before the liquid boils. But if there is a lot of pressure and large contact area, drying and local heating above boiling can happen in a small contact area.

I use a hop bag every brew. The boiling water keeps it floating/moving on the top..Never had an issue. I have a 20 gallon gallon pot maybe a smaller pot would be closer to the element

I will be using a converted keg as my BK. Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a stainless hop spider from Amazon just to be on the safe side. At least now I will have options right... plus my sack is starting to get old and wrinkly anyway...:D
:mug:

Latest posts

Back