Hooking up regulator to CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
Warning - kegging + CO2 noob here :)

I got a 5lb CO2 tank from a friend & did a tank swap at the local Airgas. I'm trying to hook up my regulator to it so I can set up my new AHS-sourced kegging setup for the first time.

How 'tightly screwed' should the regulator be onto the CO2 tank? Hand-screwed or should I be tightening it up as much as I can with a wrench?

When you connect your regulator to your Co2 tank make sure you have a regulator gasket. Also, you and going to want to tighten your regulator with a wrench so that it is snug. Do not over tighten, you may possibly damage your equipment if it is brass.

I usually just put German torque on mine, good-n-tight! :D I bought a kit from a reputable online store, it contained a 5lb bottle and dual regulator and lines. Refilled the bottle 3 times with no problems. Then the place I had my bottle refilled at closed down so I went to a welding supply shop where they trade out bottles. After that I could never get a good seal, wasted a few gaskets trying. Finally took the whole setup into the welding shop and they examined the coupling that goes from regulator to bottle -Said it had an extra piece in it that was not standard. They removed the peice and I never had problems again. Apparently the particular set-up I bought online had the bottle matched to the coupler. Puzzled the people at the CO2 store.

Some have a gasket in the reg, some have a o-ring, some have a gasket that comes out. Is yours this one: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12960 ? If so that says it has a "Built-in regulator washer", so you're probably fine.

Yep, that's the one.

I was concerned about the tightness - I hand tightened it last night, turned on the gas a little & the results were scary cold white CO2 condensed everywhere, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks, guys, as usual!

Yeah, put a wrench on it. Don't go nuts, but snug it down with the wrench. You can get some condensation on the metal of the regs when you first turn it on from the rush of CO2, but you shouldn't have cold white CO2 blasting out anywhere, and spraying it with soapy water or starsan shouldn't turn up any bubbles.

Bought a regulator wrench from AHS at lunchtime. So handy and dangerous to have it a few minutes away from work.

Back