Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearKnowBeer

Reaction score
I have some really cool local honey that i buy at the farmers market, is this safe to use in my ale recipe?

I mean there isn't some super brew honey that i have to use.. or am i wrong?

Safe? Absolutely! Use whatever honey varietal you want.I usually get mine at a local health food store, but have used grocery store honey as well. But remember one thing, honey is just about 100% fermentable, so you will raise your ABV, and dry out your recipe a little(make it actually a little less sweet). It's a lot like adding table sugar. Don't expect much honey flavor unless you use alot.

Okay, how does one get Honey flavor without dumping a bunch in there? Would it be better to carb with the honey?

You should try steeping some honey malt if you want some honey flavor. Try steeping a pound of it if you want a strong hint of honey flavor.

I just made a honey hefeweizen that called for 2 lbs of honey. I was at my LBS the other day picking up supplies and I saw some honey on the shelf. I went for it and the shop owner said it was some expensive honey. He suggest I go to a local supermarket and pick up some generic honey. He said you won't be able to tell the difference.

Interesting info above about how honey affects the final taste. Thanks for sharing.

- Destin

I have some rather nasty-looking (it's organic, meaning unfiltered...it's separated a bit into honey combs) honey. If I boil it, will it homogenize into my beer malt during the boil?

I may try that with my next brew, i already am mixing 2-3 recipes inside beersmith. I do not think i should add honey in on top of it. i was just more curious than anything. I really appreciate the info, maybe next time. Besides, i already bought all my grain!

Latest posts

Back