Honey Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Is this a good ratio of base malt to crystal to honey malt for a simple but tasty ale? If you believe that any other malt or another type of crystal would be better suited, please advise.

I haven't brewed with honey malt yet, so I am not sure if a larger percentage should be added to the recipe.

Maris Otter.... 90%

Crystal-60.......5%

Honey Malt......5%

I plan on hopping with some Sorachi Ace and Centennial and use WLP 008 yeast. TIA

I've used as much as 25% of Honey Malt before, but generally found that 5% yields a light honey flavor, 10% a medium flavor, and >15% strong and needs to be balanced with other malts.

I think you've got a good balance. Hope that helps.

I've used as much as 25% of Honey Malt before, but generally found that 5% yields a light honey flavor, 10% a medium flavor, and >15% strong and needs to be balanced with other malts.

I think you've got a good balance. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback!

Will the crystal add too much sweetness though? Did you use crystal when you made your honey ales?

I think that looks like a tasty grainbill. As long as they're mashed with a base malt, you'll get good attenuation and not too much residual sweetness.

Thanks, Daksin. Would a higher percentage of either crystal or honey malt improve the brew in any way?

What about using 2.5% crystal 80 and 7.5% honey malt?

Thanks for the feedback!

Will the crystal add too much sweetness though? Did you use crystal when you made your honey ales?

In the past I have used honey malt and crystal 40, and yielded good results. At 10% of your bill, I don't think it will be too sweet. Generally, if you add more crystal and honey malts, you'll want to balance it with more hops. I would think for 10% 30 IBUs would yield a nice balance.

Back