Honey Orange Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskooler

Supporting member
Reaction score
I have a question. I made the Honey Orange Cream Ale last summer, but neglected to put in my notes if I take the tangerine peel out after the boil or put it in the primary. Thanks

When I've used orange peel in the past, I've strained it out when transferring to primary.

I don't know if you would extract any astringency from the pith after soaking for a long time. Maybe it doesn't matter.

When I've used orange peel in the past, I've strained it out when transferring to primary.

I don't know if you would extract any astringency from the pith after soaking for a long time. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Great thanks for the quick reply, I need to take better care of my notes

I made this again, and while very happy with the flavor and the aroma, I once again get a bitter after taste which is a bit to much for me. Please any ideas as to whether I'm doing something, is it the ingredients or perhaps I should let it age a bit more. I added 1/2 of the cascade at 15 minutes to flame out

2 week pri, kegged at 1.010

Orange Blossom Cream Ale

Ingredients:

3 pounds of 2-Row Malt
.5 pounds of Belgian Caravienne Castle
.25 pounds of Honey Malt
1 pound of flaked Maize
3.3 pounds Light LME
1 ounce centennial hops
1 ounce cascade hops
Safale-05 yeast

Directions:

Put all the grains and 2/3 of the bag of maize in a grain bag and place in a brew pot. Only add enough water to cover the grains. Bring the water to a temperature of 150-155 degrees for 45 min to an hour. Sparge the grains and re-add in the original pot. After sparging is complete, add the malt extract and bring to a boil. Once it gets to a boil add all the centennial hops and boil for 60 minutes. During the last 15 minutes of the boil add 1/2 to 3/4 of the cascade hops. After the 15 minutes is up, cut the boil and add 1.5 to 2 pounds of orange blossom honey.
8 lbs 2row
1 lb crystal 10L
.5 oz glacier 60 min

1 whole tangerine peel last 10 min of boil (I do mean WHOLE)
1 tbsp coriander last 10 min of boil Add to primary and top off with water. Your OG should be around 1.045-1.050 and should finish around 1.012-1.010.

I would think moving from tangerine to orange peal would get rid of the bitterness. If that is not an option than I would just grate the rind and leave the pith out of the wort.

I would think moving from tangerine to orange peal would get rid of the bitterness. If that is not an option than I would just grate the rind and leave the pith out of the wort.

That's thought, however I see on here that people say that Tangerine is the way to go, but I will give this a shot next time. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back