Honey Nut Brown Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnBrewsual

Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering the Honey Brown Ale from Northern Brewer. I see that it comes with 1lb of honey and my question is....what would happen if I added 2 more lb of honey?

The reason I ask is because I made a honey hef that had 1lb of honey and couldn't really tell the diff between a regular hef.

It will make your beer drier and up your ABV. No reason you can't do it. Make sure you pitch enough yeast and consider adding yeast nutrient to keep them happy. Consider adding the honey to the fermenter if you want more honey character. If you're concerned about possible infection you can pasteurize the honey on the stove first.

Ya, I've run into this problem before with Honey Brown Ales etc... Like the last poster stated, you will surely increase the ABV and the beer will be dryer. But I found there is a fine fine fine line between 1 lb of honey and 2 or more pounds.

I noticed that not only was the beer dry; but, it started to get this weird winey kind of a taste. I can't really describe it but it was almost like drinking a very crappy sparkling white wine.

If I was you I would stick to the recipe. If you want to bump up the alcohol than add some LME or DME.

But that's just my two cents.

I've never added 3 pounds of honey, but I have added 1 pound of honey - AT FLAMEOUT - to NB's nut brown ale and it worked well. I added that and another pound of DME and it yielded a really nice honey nut brown ale that finished around 6.1% ABV. 3 pounds of honey would probably dry it out too much. I'd go 1 pound and DME.

Back