Honey and a floral scent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickers

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a quick question about a kit I used. I bought the Honey Bee Ale recipe kit from Midwest Supply, and I just rackedminto my secondary. I noticed a very floral scent coming from the beer, and I was wondering if that was normal for honey beers? Herenis the recipe:

3.3 lbs Gold Malt Extract
3 lbs Minnesota Clover Honey
8 oz Carapils
1 oz Tettenang pellet hops
1 oz Vanguard pellet hops

I added the honey 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Reason I ask, I bought a honey wheat kit from my local supply store, and I had the same scent coming from it; however I ended up contaminating it somehow. I dont want (obviously) to contaminate this batch, and took extra precaution in my sanitizing. It's just a familiar smell, and I am praying against familiar results.

Well, you have clover honey in there. So depending on how you added your honey (you boiled it it and likely killed all the honey flavor, it's either gonna be the hops or a hot fermentation.

Most mead makers don't boil their honey for the very simple reason that heat kills the delicate esters that give the floral notes.

Hops, on the other hand, can definitely give floral notes. Tettenang isn't what i'd describe as 'floral' almost a spicy, herbal character that is quite refined. Vanguard i'm not familiar with, but could definitely cause it to.

What yeast did you use? what temperature did you ferment at?

TL: DR version:

It's not gonna be the honey. It was boiled.

It could be the hops, or it could be the yeast. Need more information to say anything there.

Back