Homemade PBW, surfactant ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I have been using. Stolen from another post or forum, I don't recall.

96oz Oxygen Cleaner (I found a dye free at Dollar General)
4lb TSP
40oz Seventh Generation Dry Automatic Dishwasher soap

That's the same ratio I used. Here's a more thorough thread on the topic for those interested:

For all the time that goes into finding a PBW substitute, is it really worth it? I get PBW for $3.10 a pound thru a local nano-brewery. ($155.00 for 50 lbs.) Which I ended up working at. No mess, no fuss. I have tried the substitute version but in reality you use more of the oxy based version than the real thing.

It doesn't take much time to source three ingredients, and even then, not everyone has the option to get it as cheap as you and/or wants to buy 50 lbs of it at a time. The homebrew version of it ended up costing me just under $2/lb and it works quite well.

The recipe is 96oz tub of Sun Oxygen Cleaner (contains a mixture of BaCarbonate and NaPercarbonate) + 4# Red Devil TSP (NaMetasilicate) + 45oz box of Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent (with all the Chelating and surfactant agents you need). It works just the same as PBW but the grains are not as large so it makes some dust when mixing the chemicals.

Wow HBT Admins, way to dredge up a 4 year old thread in an email. WTF.

Maybe they meant to post about this thread, which is only two years old and still active (with many pages of analysis and tests). For anyone new to this thread, I'd highly recommend reading the entire thread - lots of good info.

Wow HBT Admins, way to dredge up a 4 year old thread in an email. WTF.

That's what I was thinking as well, but based on the time stamps, the first reply to the thread yesterday was 2 hours before I received the email.

I know nothing about email lists, but I wouldn't think the sending would be staggered over that much time that someone would get the email and reply to the thread 2 hours before others get it.

It almost looks to me like the links in the email were auto generated based on recent thread activity.

Back