Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not slash. Or glaze the loaf with anything to darken. Or steam. Baked at 425F for 25 min. This was about as lazy as a loaf as I can make. 50/50 regular bleached white flour and whole wheat flour. It was slightly sour from the weeks fridge rest. Pretty tasty.

Slashing will help the loaf expand as will adding some source of moisture during the beginning stages of baking preventing the crust from drying out, I have a pan in the bottom of the oven that I add boiling water to as the loaf goes in, works wonders! Be careful and cover your hand though!
I don't glaze loafs, rolls sometimes,
The Fresh loaf.com rocks, check it out.
Happy fermenting,:mug:

Took the Rex starter for a spin tonight.. 15% rye 15% WW 75% hydration. Not bad for the first loaves of the baking season. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414284716.003150.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Friday night I threw together to dough to make flatbread with some Greek chicken and tzatziki sauce (home made yogurt ofc :D), but wife took over the kitchen at the last minute and I couldn't get the rest of the meal together. Instead, I shoved the dough in a preheated dutch oven and served leftover stew with it.

The dough that was originally going to be for flatbread turned into this thing. Result was pretty great

fladbread bread.jpg

Crumb shot, I think some brett is going to be a regular thing, delicious,

Nice! I wonder if you could just put a shot of Brett in the starter and it would keep going. I made a large batch of starter from your original bit you sent out and dried it on parchment so I had some backup

Anybody ever tried to use lager yeast for cold bread fermentation in the fridge? I just kegged 10 gal so I have plenty.

Nice! I wonder if you could just put a shot of Brett in the starter and it would keep going. I made a large batch of starter from your original bit you sent out and dried it on parchment so I had some backup

Not sure if that would work or not, One strain would probably become dominant.

Been very happy with the way this has been working out, everyone that has had some has been impressed.
I have a feeling my poor beer will be violated again this week;)

Not I, give it a try and let us know how you make out.
Do you have any experience baking bread?

Yes. Been making bread for about 5 years. Always used Fleishmans and assumed that brewers yeast fermented to slowly.

Yes. Been making bread for about 5 years. Always used Fleishmans and assumed that brewers yeast fermented to slowly.

I've never tried a brewers yeast, been using the same sourdough culture for around 15 years, the bett addition was an idea as I have a beer fermenting adds a really nice flavor.

In my second season of making sourdough I've finally cracked the code for making consistently good bread. Now I want to take it to the next level, which is probably going to mean a wood fired oven or doing some kind of steam build. But for now I can bake organic bread that's better than 95% of what is commercially available for about 75¢ a loaf and that's pretty bad ass. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415165664.478687.jpg

I've been wanting to bake but my starter seems or smells a little off. I've been feeding it like 4-5 times a day with whole wheat flour. I have a feeling, it's the whole wheat flour. I'm gonna try some White flour today to see if the smell goes away.

I've been wanting to bake but my starter seems or smells a little off. I've been feeding it like 4-5 times a day with whole wheat flour. I have a feeling, it's the whole wheat flour. I'm gonna try some White flour today to see if the smell goes away.

I've never fed mine anything but white, dough gets a healthy dose of whatever whole grain I'm using.

Me either, but I only had 50 lbs of Whole wheat. As I recall i had a hard time with wheat before. I wish I could figure out what the smell reminds me of. It's not horrid, I just know it's not right. Hopefully the white flour clears it up.

I've never fed mine anything but white, dough gets a healthy dose of whatever whole grain I'm using.

That's what I do as well. I feel like the highly processed flour is somehow more "sterile" than the whole grain flours and introduces less competing organisms. I don't really have anything to back this up other than I've had similar experiences with whole grain starters getting funky.

Me either, but I only had 50 lbs of Whole wheat. As I recall i had a hard time with wheat before. I wish I could figure out what the smell reminds me of. It's not horrid, I just know it's not right. Hopefully the white flour clears it up.

If you need to start over let me know.

Seeing as I haven't made a loaf in about a year (brewing took over), and I was instructed by swmbo last night to make bread to go with the broccoli and stilton soup we're having for dinner tonight, it was quite a surprise when I stumbled upon this thread earlier today.

This is the result. I seem to have put it in the oven a bit too early after shaping. The slashes, they had no chance.

UT2tlxj.jpg

Seeing as I haven't made a loaf in about a year (brewing took over), and I was instructed by swmbo last night to make bread to go with the broccoli and stilton soup we're having for dinner tonight, it was quite a surprise when I stumbled upon this thread earlier today.

This is the result. I seem to have put it in the oven a bit too early after shaping. The slashes, they had no chance.

UT2tlxj.jpg

Beer and bread go together perfectly, even gives you a chance to reuse some of the byproducts of brewing.
Loaf look good probably just need alittle refresher after a year.

UT2tlxj.jpg

OMG. Awesome.

Beer and bread go together perfectly, even gives you a chance to reuse some of the byproducts of brewing.
Loaf look good probably just need alittle refresher after a year.

No doubt, thankfully everything else went to plan except for throwing it in too early. Can't wait to dig into it later on :rockin:

UT2tlxj.jpg

I think that loaf look frikkin cool. I would eat the heck out of it.

Sure. Pre heat both halves in the oven to 500. Once hot, put your loaf in the shallow part, what's normally the lid, and cover with the other half. Bake about 15 minutes, uncover and lower the temp to 450. Bake another 10-15 minutes til done.

Throwing my 2 cents in
I typically use a dutch oven too, but put the loaf in the preheated pot part, cover for a while, and finish it uncovered.

Comes out beautifully (usually :D)

My procedure is I have a heavy baking steel that I preheat at 500 for a half hour, then I have a very large stainless steel bowl. I tip my loaf out onto parchment paper covered in course rye flour and slide it onto the steel and cover with the bowl for 15 minutes, then bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Works great, but, I haven't figured out how to get a thick crispy crust. My crust is beautiful and its crispy if you eat the bread within 2 hours, but after several more hours it has gone soft. It's still delicious, but I want to be able to find a bread that holds a crust like the the best quality french loaf. Maybe it's something to do with the sourdough levaine inhibiting a thick crust.

Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, what's everyone's go to choice for a dinner roll? I'm doing some baking for the dinner and thought I'd add some rolls to the mix. I have no starter and was thinking of doing a simple Parker House roll. Anyone got something that will blow everyone out of the water or a go to advice/recipe?

Back