Homegrown hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImpendingDisaster

Reaction score
Howdy.
A friend at work has given me a small vacuum sealed bag of frozen hops he grew a few years ago. He says there are lots more where that came from but he doesn't know the variety or anything about them. I'm a complete noob but I wouldn't mind brewing up something with them. I've only used pellets so far.

At present I only have about 1/2 ounce of them. They do have a very sharp hoppy aroma (I vac sealed them up again).

I'm wonder what the best way of testing this small amount would be so that I could use the rest of his stash with a bit of confidence--he doesn't brew anymore, and gave it up before using any of his own crop.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing, but I'd appreciate any advice on any stages of the process. I BIAB, and have started using BrewSmith a little.

I figure these hops might be used for late additions, boiling for ca. 5-10 minutes just to check flavour & aroma while relying on general bittering hops, Centennial, Simcoe or Magnum for IBUs (I have a few ounces of each). I'm hoping this might result in a drinkable beer even in the homegrown is strong or anemic. I'm thinking of brewing a basic ale, mostly 2 row with some Munich or Crystal and using US-05. I might make a split batch, one with no late additions, and ferment directly in kegs.

Anway, I'd be very grateful for alternative strategies. Which of the other hops would be the most neutral in flavour?

Back