Homebrewing myths that need to die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having to judge a "session" beer by drinking 20oz is the dumbest BJCP criticism I've ever heard.

If you think the score revolves around the sample size, you have no idea how judging works.

Having to judge a "session" beer by drinking 20oz is the dumbest BJCP criticism I've ever heard.

If you think the score revolves around the sample size, you have no idea how judging works.

I dunno, the "if a sh!tty beer tastes better than two other sh!tty beers, it will win gold" was pretty bad, too.

I would think a judge good at determining mouthfeel would know if a beer would start to get old after the third drink.

From BJCP guideline for Classic American Pilsner:

How do you expect there to be a commercial example of a style that is no longer made commercially? Or is it your opinion that if it's no longer made commercially it's not a real style anymore?

My opinion is that its not a relevant style anymore so why bother? I also doubt its authenticity of CAP as I've never seen anything written about it that suggests any actual research was ever done into how it was actually brewed. It seems more like someone read a general description of preprohibition beer and made up the details. Even if it was a style, there are other dead styles of beer that are far more important to beer history that are not included in the guidelines (eg. burton ale, pale mild, brown stout, vatted porter, etc).

I must have missed the section on the scoresheet that speaks to how many pints you desire of the given beer.

Ugh, if you think the feedback is poor now, how would you feel if you were the 8th beer to be judged after the judge judge imbibed a fuzz under a standard 12 pack of beer? I rather doubt that the scoring would be particularly useful.

Finally, aren't pints 16 ounces? :drunk:

The checklist style score sheets have a section that says "I would finish this sample, I would drink a pint of this beer, I would pay money for this beer". and yes, not at all practical. My point was the judging format runs counter to the entire idea of a session beer.

As an uncertified person who likes writing up reviews and notes on beer, I've gotta say 12 ounces is a big damn sample. Granted, since I don't judge contests, I usually do drink a whole beer when I'm writing a review- but thats because I'm not going to review a bunch of beers at one sitting. Honestly, I know all I need to know in the first 2-3 ounces. If a self-taught taster like me can figure it out that quick, then certainly well trained and certified judges can too. Easily.

hmmmm . . . never saw that one.

But by their own description, it is a contemporary rendition of a classic style. Not a true Classic American Pilsner. The specs don't fit the guidelines, OG too low and IBU's too high. It could never be used as an example of the style.

True enough, for the 2008 version...but who's to say that the next revision of the guidelines won't better reflect what brewers are doing now? Styles evolve. Maybe CAP will get redefined a bit to reflect a common example, like Avery's.

Wow! Way to insult the BJCP and just about everyone who has a passion for crafting their own beer.

never been a fan of anyone who has decided to come up with a list of criteria of what good beer tastes like, this applies to wine, spirits, as well as what makes a good movie and many other things.

Lookin through many of these pages I was suprised to not see anything about bottling with corn sugar versus cane sugar.

That's actually a good topic. "You should bottle with corn sugar... after all, there must be a reason that it's included with so many kits!"

never been a fan of anyone who has decided to come up with a list of criteria of what good beer tastes like, this applies to wine, spirits, as well as what makes a good movie and many other things.

I submit that you're missing the point. The BJCP guidelines are not there to define what is good beer; they are there to define that style A should have XYZ characteristics, while style B should have X, Z, and C. You're judged off of how well you follow a given style, not whether or not the judge thinks your beer is subjectively good.

A good beer is a beer you enjoy, regardless of stye or lack thereof.

That's actually a good topic. "You should bottle with corn sugar... after all, there must be a reason that it's included with so many kits!"

I believe - but could be wrong - it's because corn sugar is 100% fermentable, giving you more consistent results from batch to batch. Different brands of DME have varying levels of fermentability.

I believe - but could be wrong - it's because corn sugar is 100% fermentable, giving you more consistent results from batch to batch. Different brands of DME have varying levels of fermentability.

The counter-point there is that there's not enough non-fermantables introduced when priming to make a noticeable difference in flavor.

If you want to use table sugar but want it to ferment perfectly clean like corn sugar, invert it on the stove (or buy it pre-inverted as "Invertase" or "Invert Syrup" or "Trimoline" at a baking supply store).

This is something I didnt know, thank you. To clarify, I can save my corn sugar for other purposes and invert table sugar with a little lemon and get the same effect? Will this effect the taste of the finished product?

Table sugar is also 100% fermentable. Zero flavor contribution. Zero reason to spend the same on five ounces of corn sugar as you spend on five pounds of table sugar.

Also, DME is very easy to calculate (not enough variation to matter). No reason at all to not use it, save the fact that it's more expensive than table sugar. It does add a slight flavor contribution.

Table sugar has been reported to leave a "cidery" contribution when used in larger quantities (not priming). I haven't tested it yet myself.

Priming with table sugar uninverted is fine as well.

To make things super easy, you can pre-can priming sugar in a little water. For dextrose, just go to town. For table sugar, just add a little lemon juice (or cream of tartar?) And pressure can away.

I've noticed that Brooklyn Brew Shop's kits suggest using honey or maple syrup to prime depending on the beer. Thoughts?

Use about 10% less table sugar compared to corn sugar to get the same level of carbonation.

The cidery flavor is a myth, at least on the priming sugar scale. Many Belgian beers use a LOT of table sugar with no cidery flavor. You have to be talking about a very large percentage of your overall fermentables before this is a concern.

Honey and maple syrup both work well to prime with, and both give you some flavor contributions. I have primed successfully with maple syrup before.

Honey is a bit tougher, as different batches of honey can vary in terms of fermentability.

Check my signature for a nice priming sugar calculator that takes most of the guesswork out of priming... also gives you a ton of different sugars to use.

The cidery flavor is a myth, at least on the priming sugar scale. Many Belgian beers use a LOT of table sugar with no cidery flavor. You have to be talking about a very large percentage of your overall fermentables before this is a concern.

I am specifically talking about large amounts in primary, such as replacing the dextrose in Apfelwein (2#) or using table sugar inverted as called for in Skeeter Pee (7#).

I am specifically talking about large amounts in primary, such as replacing the dextrose in Apfelwein (2#) or using table sugar inverted as called for in Skeeter Pee (7#).

I use table sugar in my Apfelwein. It's MUCH cheaper and I figure, how in hell am I going to detect a cidery off flavor in my cider! IIRC this information about cidery tastes in beer comes from a time when brewers were throwing in a ton of sugar and any other cheap fermentables they could get their hands on into their beer. Pretty sure it was England and something to do with taxes. My understanding is, like the Belgians, you can use basic sugar for a pretty large quantity of the fermentables before getting that cidery twang.

I use table sugar in my Apfelwein. It's MUCH cheaper and I figure, how in hell am I going to detect a cidery off flavor in my cider! IIRC this information about cidery tastes in beer comes from a time when brewers were throwing in a ton of sugar and any other cheap fermentables they could get their hands on into their beer. Pretty sure it was England and something to do with taxes. My understanding is, like the Belgians, you can use basic sugar for a pretty large quantity of the fermentables before getting that cidery twang.

I think that apfelwein is on the wine side of the house when fermented with a champagne yeast as most do, but that's coming down to semantics.

Have you done a side-by-side between corn and table sugar using the same recipe otherwise? That's what I'd be particularly interested in.

Have a 16g cider planned (with hef yeast), split 4-ways for these sorts of comparisons:

1- 2# dextrose
2- 2# table sugar
3- 1# table sugar, 1# brown sugar
4- 2# brown sugar

No, table sugar doesn't add cidery flavor. I use 20% table sugar in my tripel. No cidery flavor. I have also used dextrose, can't tell the difference, but haven't done a side-by-side.

I think that apfelwein is on the wine side of the house when fermented with a champagne yeast as most do, but that's coming down to semantics.

Have you done a side-by-side between corn and table sugar using the same recipe otherwise? That's what I'd be particularly interested in.

Have a 16g cider planned (with hef yeast), split 4-ways for these sorts of comparisons:

1- 2# dextrose
2- 2# table sugar
3- 1# table sugar, 1# brown sugar
4- 2# brown sugar

I brew my Apfelwein with Chico strain ale yeast. I find that after a couple generations it is plenty dry, it isn't harsh when young, and still gets better with age. I haven't really noticed a difference since switching to table sugar. It was a side by side that convinced me I was just pissing money away. I'd love to hear how this experiment turns out, please keep us up to date. Where would you post the thread so I can look for it? Cider forum?

Yep. Cider forum.

My local WinCo also stocks fructose by the pound, but at several times the cost of table sugar. I was going to add it to the test, but cant find any reason to.

That's a myth for sure.. always upgrading and just plain out drinking more haha

It is if you drink a lot of saisons and sours. Don't cost anymore to brew, but sure cost a lot more at the store. Maybe the economists will disagree because sours tie up fermenter and basement space and I'm not factoring in the fermenter opportunity cost. :D

^^^ true. But I myself am a gadget whore... So for me, it is not my economic route but I don't do it to save money. I do it cause I like it and the end result is usually rewarding

If I were to drink as much as I do of the styles I brew it would cost me more to buy it then to brew it. I buy everything in bulk so a 30 gallon batch costs me about $40, a 15.5 gallon keg of craft beer runs about $175. I built my brewery for $1500 9 years ago and it has pretty much paid for itself.

Don't know if they have been mentioned, but.....

Alluminum pots will give you alzheimers.
Plastic brew buckets (food grade) will leech toxins(still in debate)
you need a 5gal bucket of star-san every brew day to properly sanitize.
every beer but hefe's need to be perfectly clear.
you need to sanitize everything pre-boil

I've noticed that Brooklyn Brew Shop's kits suggest using honey or maple syrup to prime depending on the beer. Thoughts?

I only use honey...sometimes maple syrup. NEVER any issues with uneven carbonation or anything. I just crossed the 100 batches brewed mark and I'd say 80 have been with honey. I've tried sugar but I guess I'm a creature of habit.

Latest posts

Back