Homebrewing books (that are not Joy of Homebrewing or Designing Great Beers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I already own the two books listed in the title. I was flipping through Designing Great Beers and was surprised to find it completely omitted Belgian, Saisons, and sours.

So I was wondering what new beer books are out there. Even if it's not technical any great reads, historical accounts, stuff like that.

More on the science side of brewing. The brewing elements series for water and yeast are great.

Gordon Strong’s ‘Brewing better beer’. Im currently reading ‘Mastering homebrew’ by Randy Mosher. And I’m also looking forward to Scott Janish releasing his IPA book.

All great reads that are listed above. I might add that Gordon Strong's other book "Modern Homebrew Recipes" is also a very good book with some really well put together recipes. Every one I have brewed so far has been outstanding. I really recommend it.

John

All great reads that are listed above. I might add that Gordon Strong's other book "Modern Homebrew Recipes" is also a very good book with some really well put together recipes. Every one I have brewed so far has been outstanding. I really recommend it.

John

How modern? Seems some new trends like whirlpooling and such don't have a strong presence.

I have the following brewing books.

(My ratings of the books are next to each, 1-4 stars, 4 is high).

Malt ****
Yeast ****
Hops ****
Water ****
Radical Brewing ** 1/2
Experimental Homebrewing ***
Palmer's new "How to Brew" ***
the older "How to Brew" ***
Homebrew Recipe Bible ** 1/2
Brew like a Pro (worthless, IMO, no stars)
Homebrew All Stars ****
Mastering Homebrew *** 1/2
Homebrew, Beyond the Basics ***
Brewing Classic Styles **
Clone Brews **
Designing Great Beers**
Home Brewer's Answer Book *

How modern? Seems some new trends like whirlpooling and such don't have a strong presence.

He does talk about whirlpooling and hop stands, and hop bursting. Don't worry so much about the "Modern" part, it's a very good book for what it is. Soild recipes and good brewing techniques that work.

John

In fact I just bought it.
-Also John

Brewing porters and Stouts by Terry Foster...

Could you tell a little about the recipes (Amazon's preview doesn't give much info)? I assume they're all grain(?)...single infusion or step mashed? Do many of them use fruits and other adjuncts, or are they somewhat traditional, so to speak?

Extract and all-grain are both included. There are details on mashing, and boiling schedules. Mostly they are single step 90 min mash. I do a single batch sparge on mine. No fruits that i know of. Lots of flavors though - Something for every taste I think. Session beers, exports, imperials, some old classics, lots to chose from.

Didn’t see it mentioned. Anyone recommend Session Beers by Jennifer Talley? Heard her on one of the BN podcasts.

Latest posts

Back