Homebrewing and Cavities?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to see if any other homebrewer has seen any problems with their teeth after they started homebrewing. For the past 14 years or so I have had 1 cavity in my mouth. I started homebrewing about a year ago. The last checkup I had was pretty morbid. 3 cavities, a wisdom tooth that needs extraction due to a absess that formed, and a posible loss of the tooth next to my wisdom tooth. I am not sure if it is related but the only thing I can think of is the sugar from beer? I am an extract brewer and most of my beers finish at about 1.020. Do you think there is too much sugar in the beer and that is the cause of my teeth problems? I drink homebrew and also micro brewed beer. My eating habits remained the same throughout the year.

Seems like a bit too much sugar. But I am not sure how this could be affecting your teeth. Most experts believe that sugar drinks are not a big concern because it is washed away easily. Starch, on the other hand tends to get stuck in your teeth and can stay there for much longer.

You might just be due for some cavities! I got most of mine as a youngster. I can't remember the last time I had a cavity. I've drank a lot of pop in my younger years and beer and homebrew past several.

Of course we are all different and what goes for one doesn't necessarily go for another.

I know a lot of brewers, and I've seen no trend of tooth trouble. I have no problems, either.

1.020 is a very high FG, and I would expect to see that only with enormous beers. However, unless you have some fairly bad dental hygiene, a bit of extra sugar shouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

TL

ask your dentist...could be something else in your diet ! my dentist says some folks have "soft" teeth and are more prone to problems.

You might just be due for some cavities! I got most of mine as a youngster. I can't remember the last time I had a cavity. I've drank a lot of pop in my younger years and beer and homebrew past several.

Of course we are all different and what goes for one doesn't necessarily go for another.

+1, I've heard from dentists that cavities go in streaks. You get one or two as a kid, go for many years then get a bunch in your early thirties, then nothing for many for years. YMMV

Back