Homebrewer turned brewery owner turned homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey77

Reaction score
Hey Homebrew Talk! I started homebrewing in 2008 and became a commercial brewer/owner in 2014. I then opened an additional brewery in 2018. So at one point I was an owner brewer at two different breweries that I started from the ground up. I sold out of the newest brewery last summer and walked away from the other one about 4 months ago. I had some big life changes and was really burnt out and found myself getting farther and farther away from actual brewing so I decided it was time to get out.

I never lost the love for beer and brewing though and put together a little homebrew setup last month. The plan was to take a year off but I was offered a job brewing at one of the larger breweries in my town and accepted the position a few weeks ago. So now instead of working 7 days a week as a brewery owner I get 3 days off and get to leave work at work! I'm really looking forward to homebrewing again and I hope to be able to share any knowledge I've picked up and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way.

My "first" brew is going to be a dry hopped light lager hopped with Amarillo cryo hops. I'll be using the Anchor Steam strain. I'll be sure and make a thread for it when I brew it. Cheers!

-Mike

Congrats! Did the same thing actually (much smaller scale it sounds like, and only had one brewery). Brewing ends up being a very small part of owning a brewery. I have been happy to focus more on my home setup and enjoying it more than ever!

Good luck on the upcoming brew! Cheers!

Congrats! Did the same thing actually (much smaller scale it sounds like, and only had one brewery). Brewing ends up being a very small part of owning a brewery. I have been happy to focus more on my home setup and enjoying it more than ever!

Good luck on the upcoming brew! Cheers!

Honestly I would do it all over again. That period in my life was some of the most fun I've ever had, but you're absolutely right about brewing being such a small part of the big picture. I'm really glad to go home at night and not worry about getting a text at 10pm about something breaking or leaking. Haha... I might do it again someday but it will be a much different concept.

The place I brew now has a 10 bbl brewhouse and a 30 bbl brewhouse. My setup at home is designed to fill 2 1/2 gallon corny kegs! I get plenty of free beer from work so it's more about experimentation for me. Thanks for the welcome.

Hi. Homebrew here in Brazil have grew a lot in last 5 years... People are getting all sort of unique flavors, such as mixed cultures, lot of fruits and woods. We have lots of craftbeers fans. But I think the most os market is not ready to get craftbeer a bigger space on the market. What about craftbeer in US?

Back