Homebrewdude's Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I have been planning and thinking about this for some time.
Looks like I will start on the panel.

Planning on 50amp with options to run 3 elements, 5 temp probes and 3 pumps.

This is my bottom layout. See any issues?
2016-05-14%2017.41.05_zps9wdlsbhr.jpg

Heat sink mounting
and SSR layout.

I thought this was 1/4-8 screws for the SSR.
I need something smaller and a smaller tap.

20160514_181017_zpskbftwpag.jpg

20160514_181129_zpscirklsne.jpg

Looking good, I'm now looking at adding three elements to my Brutus 10 to substitute for propane in my brew shed. I'll be following this.

I have a feeling its going to get really tight in the panel, Also make sure you have enough room between components on the face most of them seem to have wiring that comes off them horizontally and may interfere with adjacent ones once wired.

Nice layout, but, yeah, I think you need to get a larger enclosure..As Saoral stated it will get pretty cramped in there with wires coming off the sides of the switches and PIDs..

Depends on how much you are will to spend..A couple of suggestions I can think of off the top of my head:

Auber has this one it's 16x16x8 for $118
and a Kal type box with holes already cut for $192...both come with heat sinks..

From Electric Brewing this one for $149..

Or for on the cheap Lowes has this one for like $30 that might be configured for your needs..But it is only 10x10x4

The hole saw attempt looks dry. They cut better and longer if you use a little cutting oil. I set my drill to a medium speed. Fast seamed to smoke the oil, slow didn't cut much, medium kept the heat in check and cut pretty quickly.

Is it ok to use 40A SSRs when building a 50A panel? I only ask because I've been thinking of going with a 50A so I can scale up if needed. Trying to figure out what I need in parts.

What about this for wiring the elements.

The neutral is not needed for the elements or anything, so I will terminate into some din terminal blocks.
Same for the ground, it will go to a row of DIN terminal blocks.

The small 6amp breaker is the 120v portion for the pumps and other control items needed.

2016-05-30 18.48.02.jpg

Top Row
Mash Reference Temp - Volt/Amp - Chilled wort Reference Temp
Second Row
Boil1/Off/Rims Rims/Off/Boil2 Alarm
Third Row
Boil1 Element, Rims Element, Boil2 Element Reset Timer
Fourth Row
Boil1 PID, Rims PID Boil2 PID and Timer
Fifth Row
Alarm on/off
Sixth Row
Pump1 Pump2 Pump3 and shut-off

Regarding post #26, are you planning to put both of your HOT legs through SSR's? You only need to have 1 leg of each pair got through the SSR. The other leg can go directly to the outlets.

If this was discussed earlier in the thread, my apologies.

Edit: Ah, I see you have only 3 SSR's. Nevermind...

I have a feeling its going to get really tight in the panel, Also make sure you have enough room between components on the face most of them seem to have wiring that comes off them horizontally and may interfere with adjacent ones once wired.

What are your panel dimensions?
Edit: quoted wrong post.

Latest posts

Back