Homebrew Logo Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
I'm not sure what forum to post this in so I hope it gets seen here.

How does one go about making a good logo for their homebrew endeavors? I've been brewing for about 7 years and never much called it anything nor have I named all too many beers. But I want that to change. I want to order glasses, make some stickers, and do whatever to get people to enjoy my homebrew as much as I do.

I see some of the amazing labels some of you have and I'm very jealous. While I do have some artistic abilities, my sloppy, cartoonist style of drawing is not what I'm looking for. What should I use? Or who should I pay? I don't like labels with hops and grain on them, as I see that too often.

Thanks!

-Adam Edwards

I haven't focused so much on a logo as labels. I use a site called Evermine where you can have labels made using their templates. The ones I use are static-cling labels that stick to a bottle as a static cling would stick to a window. They're reusable, otherwise the price would be too much.

https://www.evermine.com/labels/shape/SP13/shape-SP13/ (if you click a label, you have to choose the button for the cling style)

I picked out a style that I've used three times, different base color, to denote different styles. The one I chose allows text at the edges of the label, which adds a bit to the fun of the design.

They're a little pricey but since they're reusable, that doesn't matter so much. You can include pics, your own designed logo, etc. They have neck labels too which sometimes they throw in for almost nothing.

You were asking how to get a logo designed; might you find a local high school or college student who wants a project for minimal money so they can add to their resume?

Here's how that label looks. They really work, they're indistinguishable from paper labels, and they can be peeled off and reused.

darthlabelonbottle.jpg

If you click them you can see the text on the sides.

darthlabel2.png
ambitiousamberlabel.JPG
funkyryelabel.JPG

Evermine has a 20-percent off sale from time to time, which is when I buy these. The first time I think there's a welcome to the site 20-percent off deal for new customers. I have bought 18 labels each time, seems a reasonable price for what they are.

I'm not sure what forum to post this in so I hope it gets seen here.

How does one go about making a good logo for their homebrew endeavors? I've been brewing for about 7 years and never much called it anything nor have I named all too many beers. But I want that to change. I want to order glasses, make some stickers, and do whatever to get people to enjoy my homebrew as much as I do.

I see some of the amazing labels some of you have and I'm very jealous. While I do have some artistic abilities, my sloppy, cartoonist style of drawing is not what I'm looking for. What should I use? Or who should I pay? I don't like labels with hops and grain on them, as I see that too often.

Thanks!

-Adam Edwards
What's wrong with sloppy cartoonist styles of drawing? Ever seen a Picasso? Or a Rothko, Pollack, etc? Worth millions, for some reason.

Seriously, though. If you have a computer and a printer, go for it. I use Photoshop to make labels, but there's a huge range of graphics programs out there. I'm a machinist. My daughter has a Bachelor of Fine Arts. My label designs are better. Because they are MINE. On MY beer. You should make YOUR labels. Because it's YOUR beer. Whatever you come up with will be right. Good luck.

How does one go about making a good logo for their homebrew endeavors?
It's like everything else in life - if you don't have the means to do it yourself, then you reach out to someone who does. Either a friend of yours who can do it, or a professional graphic designer.

I do it for a living (not offering my services, I have a 9-6 day job where I get enough of it!) and like every profession, there are levels of skill. A logo can cost anywhere from $100 from "design mills" where they have students looking to build a portfolio/kids/people in countries where a dollar stretches further, to $50k from a reputable studio. (When I freelanced, I'd bill about $2,500 or so).

Back