Homebrew in a hot car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoonose

Reaction score
I have some beer packaged for shipping to a competition; I left it in my car while at work today, 'til around 2. Outside temp was in the mid/high 90s. How likely is it that the heat will adversely affect the beer- should I send it as is, or replace the "hot" bottles with others(same batches)? Am I overthinking this?

If it were for general enjoyment you're probably ok but since it is for a competition I would get fresh bottles. In the past I have put the bottles in a cooler with some ice and kept out of the sunlight.

....If you are shipping it - How is your hot car any different than a hot UPS or Fed Ex truck? Bottom line is that if you ship beer in hot weather, it is going to get hot. No getting around it. It is not ideal, but it happens.

I try (as best I can) to look for a shipping window. where the weather is decent, and I can ship in a way that it will not sit over a weekend in a truck. Have to look at the time line you have - when do the bottles need to be there? Can you wait? Is it going to be better or worse temperature if you wait? Just gotta do the best you can with what you have for shipping weather. You can try to keep cool as long as you can, throw a couple ice packs in (in a ziplock) to buy a little more time, but in hot weather it is just not perfect sometimes.

Back