Homebrew Fatigue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

357mag

Reaction score
I have been all grain brewing for 4 years. Within the last year I have had a baby and more stress at work. It seems that more than anything it is daunting to take on a 5 hour brewing session with everything else going on in life.

I currently have two beers in fermentors. I have a lambic that has about 9 months go go, and a saison that should have been bottled a month ago. My plan was to bottle the saison and brew a Belgian strong ale and put it on the yeast cake. It seems that I just cannot commit to bottling and brewing.

It used to be that I would start brewing around 6PM and be done before midnight. I still have time to do that. I just don't seem to have the motivation. There have been several evenings where I plan to brew but when it comes time to actually make it happen I decide I would rather just relax.

Is this common for anyone else? Do you eventually get past it? Do I just need need to pull my stuff together and get it done? or should I just sell all my equipment now? I never imagined that I would turn in to "this guy"

Thanks in advance for the support/advice.

I took about a year off because of back problems. I needed the money for bills and I didn't want to be lifting 50lbs of water on brewday.

During that year, I did some cheap build projects (stir plate, IC, temp control) and and when I started back up, I was making better beer.

When I did start back up, I found that it was easier for me to block out a day every three months than it was to block out 6 hours every six weeks. So I started brewing two 5-gallon batches at a time.

I am currently on another brewing hiatus. In November we moved from SLC to the San Juan Islands of WA. I was forced to downsize both brewing gear and our household dramatically in the move. I don't get to have a brew day here until the last box is unpacked.

I'm not even close.

Sack up and brew dude

honestly, you're probably exhausted with your kid and all so it's a wonder you dredged up the energy to make an account and post on this forum. Welcome! You won't find any trolls here, so it is (mostly) in jest that I tell you to:

Sack up and brew!!

I have run into walls at different points in the last 8-9 years in brewing. I always wanted it to be a semi-social activity, so my cycles generally go: someone else will kick rocks around saying they may be interested in something related to brewing...but not enough motivation to actually go forward. Then I come along and put forth the motivation and the money to tear any equipment-related walls down. Then we go on a run, and hit some sort of equipment and / or motivation wall. Rinse and repeat.

Probably the longest gap I / we've had has been when I swore I wouldn't be the one to put forth the motivation to continue again...somebody else had to do it. (It didn't end up working - the one night that convinced me to pursue my now gf of 2.5 years was when she was talking about getting some brewing equipment and getting back into brewing).

After my daughter was born I took a break for about a year to get used to my new lifestyle, responsibilities, schedules and stresses. I've been back at it since last November and have brewed four 5 gallon batches since then (fifth will be this weekend). You'll get used to the changes and find a way to get back to the things you enjoyed!

I took 30 years off....we do what we have to do in life usually for a good reason. Sounds to me like you need the rest and relaxation more then you need home Brewing right now. It will all come together in time...Enjoy the Kid...Help the wife..they grow up fast you don't want to miss sharing it with her.
RAHASB Relax and have another store bought...:D

Sack up and brew dude

honestly, you're probably exhausted with your kid and all so it's a wonder you dredged up the energy to make an account and post on this forum. Welcome! You won't find any trolls here, so it is (mostly) in jest that I tell you to:

Sack up and brew!!

I deserve this. Thank you!

It's a hobby, it's a passion, it's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, then why do it?

I've had several hobbies/passions over the years, and in every case, I found the need or desire to take a hiatus from them. Sometimes it's because I don't have time, sometimes because I'm tired or stressed out, sometimes because something has captured my attention and is for the moment more interesting.

Don't be guilted into brewing; do it because you want to. It'll come back.

could just find a way to make the brew day shorter like no-sparge and/or shorter boil. I've been experimenting with this lately and it has totally changed my brewing-life!

It's a hobby, it's a passion, it's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, then why do it?

I've had several hobbies/passions over the years, and in every case, I found the need or desire to take a hiatus from them. Sometimes it's because I don't have time, sometimes because I'm tired or stressed out, sometimes because something has captured my attention and is for the moment more interesting.

Don't be guilted into brewing; do it because you want to. It'll come back.

Like he said, it is a hobby, not a job. My other hobby I enjoy tinkering with is model trains. Some days spend all weekend and may hours after work working on my trains and other times they will sit there for a month or more with out me touching them. The break is what keeps hobbies fresh. Don't sweat it. :tank:

Friend of mine ended up with 3 kids in about 9 months (adopted one bc they "couldn't conceive" then about a month after adoption goes thru she gets pregnant with twins. He went to brewing extract batches and kegging. Brews on a work night when kids go to bed. Only takes him about 2 hours or so. Simple compromise until things calm down 20 years down the road :)

I took a looooong break right after my first kid was born and recently started back up now that they are approaching teenagerhood. Back then, it just got to be too much with all the diaper changing, feeding, working, and whatnot. I love beer and brewing and all, but having kids made me realize that they were my first priority, and I don't regret that.

I was happy to find when i stated back that I can still make great beer. The one thing that has changed is that I no longer have so many drinking buddies to help me make it disappear, but I'm also not the same drunken grad student I was before. It's all good though. I really think I appreciate it more now.

So, don't sweat it. Sometimes a complete break or reduced output can be a blessing in disguise. If you really love it, you'll find your MOJO again one day.

Brewing is the one thing I have where I can just be by myself for about six hours and let the stress of work and life go. I think everybody needs an escape from reality for a short few hours to just due what they like. Keep brewing and just enjoy the time to your self it will keep you sane

I started 2 years ago with a neighbor friend introducing me to the process. He gave up and relocated. I now brew by myself which is a chore. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the results but brew day can be tiring. Age and health enter into the equation.
I can't imagine juggling all of the things associated with children. My wife is supportive but only has interest in the results, homebrew.

I have attempted other "easier processes " and determined that easier does not really exist. Ok guys don't beat me up on this.
Hauling water is the tough part but due to water softener, I have to haul it across the basement to the brew area.
Enough of my issues.
Take the time you need to renew your interest, get your needed rest and enjoy the wife and kids. Buy really good craft beer you like. Don't get rid of the equipment! The joy will return and you will be ready when it does.
:mug:

I have been all grain brewing for 4 years. Within the last year I have had a baby and more stress at work. It seems that more than anything it is daunting to take on a 5 hour brewing session with everything else going on in life.

I currently have two beers in fermentors. I have a lambic that has about 9 months go go, and a saison that should have been bottled a month ago. My plan was to bottle the saison and brew a Belgian strong ale and put it on the yeast cake. It seems that I just cannot commit to bottling and brewing.

It used to be that I would start brewing around 6PM and be done before midnight. I still have time to do that. I just don't seem to have the motivation. There have been several evenings where I plan to brew but when it comes time to actually make it happen I decide I would rather just relax.

Is this common for anyone else? Do you eventually get past it? Do I just need need to pull my stuff together and get it done? or should I just sell all my equipment now? I never imagined that I would turn in to "this guy"

Some people may find this heretical, but have you looked at doing partial mash brews instead? Honestly, my brew day is about 3-4 hours for brewing using DME for half of my fermentables.Yes, it does cost more, but the time savings is worth it to me. Reducing the size of your batches is another way to shave off time. Alternately, you could scale back the frequency of your batches to once every 2 months. This can make a huge difference in how much fatigue you're experiencing.

There are many parts of brewing that can get mundane. I could see feeling like many parts of it are "work" and necessary but a headache, and as a result decide not to brew in a particular day/week/month. I have built everything on to one cart and added a moderate amount of automation that has helped with some of those things (such as cleaning, which sucks to do). The automation also helps focus on science and reduce missing steps, but it is certainly not for everyone to buy/build/debug/run/maintain.

The only suggestion I would make, is push through the wall once to get the bottling done and the other beer in the fermentor. After that, if the passion isn't there right now, take a break until the itch returns.

No kids on my end but after a big move, a couple more years in Iraq and another huge remodeling project, I found I had not brewed in almost 5 years. I ripped out a quick extract batch one day. A month later I took stock of my remaining equipment and cobbled together what I needed to go back to all grain. After a couple successful all grains, I was back in the saddle and loving the hobby again.

LOL, sorry don't mean to laugh...... but...... i've got a 2yr old with another one coming in less than 3 weeks. my 2yr old didn't start sleeping through the night till he was 18months old and is now waking up at least once most nights now that we moved him into this "big" boy bed to get ready for the baby...... so i know about fatigue, lack of motivation ect..... for me it's a really hard balance of spending some time with my wife alone away from our son and spending time with him and working and house work ect... along with trying to be well rested and still find time to brew and other hobbies i have...... i get it! there are other times i just want to do nothing..... but trust me it will get better with time, if you enjoy it don't give it up! just take a break if needed and come back to it or at least scale back on how much brewing you do...... i'm going to try to let me son help me with my next brew and see how that goes then i can kill 2 birds with one stone! :)

Nothing wrong with admitting that there are other priorities that need your time currently. Take a break and eventually, when you are able to find more time you'll probably enjoy brewing even more.

I recently had my daughter and found time to brew once. I haven't lost interest, I still want to do it all the time, just don't have the time. As she's starting to get older, I've been able to brew.

The first thing you gotta do is brew earlier in the day. If you have a baby, you're probably up at 6:30 or earlier anyways. Anything after 9PM is bed time, so starting at 6PM is crazy talk, no wonder you're burnt out. Maybe do some 3 gallon stove-top BIAB, which for me take a little less time than getting the 5 gallon set-up put outside.

There are times when I don't feel like it, so I don't. Other times, I really want to. I have 2 different answers to it. If I have the time, and feel like zoning out for a few hours, I'll do a 10 gallon all-grain. If I just want to be out of it for 1.5 - 2 hours, I'll do extract with specialty grains. I don't feel there's anything wrong with either of the methods. I just keep ingredients around for when I feel like either session. If I don't feel like it, they'll be there when i DO feel like it. As others have said, it's a hobby, and if it's not fun right now, don't do it. It will only add stress trying to brew when you just don't want to, not relieve stress like it should.

I'm with you 100%. I'm now into my 10th year of brewing, and have had this problem for a lot of the last year. Part of it is the change to RO water. Now that I have to make my water at least a day in advance, it gets easier and easier to just procrastinate and put off brewing. And the other part is that, like you, I was brewing in the evenings, and with 3 kids and being stressed at work, I was exhausted.

Part of the reason I would brew at night is that I brew in my garage, and with three young kids, that meant that they wanted to be out there. And of course, they want to run in the driveway, the front yard, on the sidewalk, in the street, etc. I would brew at night so that it minimized the effect on my wife having to watch them, since they'd be asleep for a lot of the brewing process.

I just recently decided this is unworkable. So I'm going to move my brew operation to the backyard and do it during the day on weekends. That will have the advantage of me actually having energy and not being exhausted. It also has the advantage that I can actually contain my kids well enough in the house and [fenced] yard to brew without forcing my wife into 5-6 extra hours of childcare when she has stuff to do.

If you can do it, move your brew day to the daytime. Because the fatigue of work and parenthood ain't going away!

Perhaps I'm just a morning person, but I usually get up at 5 AM and have found that is my time to brew. Get up drink a cup of coffee and head out to the garage.

Of course there aren't any little ones around my house usually but at night I'd be afraid I'd fall asleep waiting on a mash or boil. Or anything for that matter.

If you're getting up with the little one anyway you might give that a thought on the weekend.

@bwarbiany:
I've switched to RO water this past year also. Started going to Kroger for ten gallons of their RO/DI in the refillable 5 gallon jugs with a screw on top. Pretty cheap that way. Then hooked up an old RO unit, used to keep reef tanks, to my filter rack. Now I just use about 8 gallons per brew so after I fill my HLT with the RO water I just let the unit refill my two jugs while I'm brewing. Then they are ready for the next brew session, whenever that may be.

Maybe consider brewing with extract. All the hard work is done for you and you can make as good or even better beer in much less time in the kitchen. Keg instead of bottling to save time. If brewing is in your blood, it'll come back eventually. In the mean time, enjoy some good books on brewing and styles.

Having a baby will definitely make you exhausted. I haven't brewed anything since July of 2015 because, well life got in the way. My daughter is now old enough were she doesn't have to be watch 100% of the time and can play by herself. Hopefully this year I can start brewing in the morning and be finished around lunch. She can help me for a while, then she'll get bored then play in the yard then she'll get bored and go inside and cause chaos.

No harm in taking a few months off to adjust then try small stove top batches so you can still be present and the process doesn't take all day.

Good Luck!

I just came off a six year hiatus in November, and some time before that I came off a 4 year hiatus so don't worry about it. I would bottle the beer you have brewed put your notes and equipment away but organized so you can be ready when you are ready. It's a hobby, it should not cause stress, it should relieve it.

When you start up try to streamline aspects of your brewing. As I have started up again I'm trying to keep my brew days as short as possible to minimize the effect it has on the family. I started using a bucket heater and a timer so I can wake up to 9 gallons of 180 deg. water. Batch sparging and kegging have also saved me some time.

I took an extended break of about 12 years when my wife and I had 3 kids in 3 years (single followed by twins) and my brewing buddy moved to another state. I was bottling, using bleach as a sanitizer requiring extensive rinsing, chilling 10 gallon batches using ice bath, no automation, etc. and frankly didn't have the time or energy. I put my equipment safely away in the attic vowing to return to the hobby I enjoyed so much sometime in the future.

I resumed brewing last year (kids were 13 and 11 now 14 and 11), and I enjoy it more now than ever. The kids are intrigued by the process and are learning about biology, chemistry, physics, etc. through observing and helping with the process. I've also invested in MLT and BK with weldless fittings and valves, kegging equipment, wort chiller, no rinse sanitizers, and a pump to make the process less labor intensive and time consuming. I've made 4 extract batches and 3 all grain since coming out of retirement. I can't wait to brew the next batch.

If you need to relax, relax and take a break. You may need a month, a year, or 12 years as I did. Only you will know. Perhaps scale back to smaller
batches, BIAB partial mash, and/or all-extract as others have mentioned.

If you need to take an extended break and have the space to store your gear, I recommend that vs selling it all. If I had to re-purchase everything last year, it would have been even more inertia to overcome in order to get started in the hobby again. My 2 cents, obviously, your mileage may vary.

I roll in and out of home brewing all the time, I don't brew in the summer, too stinkin' hot. In the Fall, I'm busy with cider, wine and other things. Just put the brewing stuff in the attic and forget about it for a while. Bottle the saison when you feel like it, its not going anywhere. The kids are only young once, make the most of it.

I am about to have a baby and I really hope that I don't run into this same issue. For me I like to brew b/c it gets me in the garage with the guys drinking beer and making beer while the girls..and soon baby can do whatever it is they do inside. So make it more of a getaway and get some friends over to enjoy some guy time.

I started brewing in 1995(ish). From 2000-2009 my life got more and more hectic with teaching/coaching/step kids in HS/Grad school classes. I brewed less and less, put less and less focus on it, brewed some bad batches...... gradually, I just stopped altogether - it was more hassle and "work" and less fun and enjoyment. I probably went close to 5 years without brewing at all - just bought a keg of something good from time to time if I wanted beer on tap in my house. Around 2008-2010..... grad school was done, kids were on their own, had more time on my hands. One day out of the blue I decided to clean my brew room, clean my equipment, organize and replace any equipment that needed it, etc.
Spent 2 full days just cleaning stuff, organizing, etc. Placed an order for a couple ingredient kits to keep things simple and was brewing the next weekend. 50 batches a year since then and enjoying it more now that at any point in the last 20 years.
When it isn't fun, when it becomes a "chore" - take some time off and come back to it when you can enjoy it as hobbies are meant to be enjoyed.

I'm not a huge fan of doing all the labor of brewing. It's a helluva lot of work and time consuming.

There are two aspects I really enjoy:
1. Buildling and tweaking my system. This is where I show my creativity (art and music are not me!). It's good hobby time.

2. Consumption. Gallon after gallon after gallon of beer that is better than what I can buy in the store. This is the most rewarding aspect, but can sometimes start to feel like a job when you really need to finish off a keg so you have a place to rack a beer that is currently fermenting. Hard work but someone has to do it!

The family balance is difficult though. I try to spread a lot of the work out into short sessions over the weeks prior to brewing. E.g. weigh grains out one day, mill them the next day. Step the brewery up the next day. Make water the next... etc. That way brewing day is just a matter of turning on pumps and controllers and walking away. Fortunately now that my son is older now I can have him join me without worry he's going to try to pick up and eat something he shouldn't.

I had to take 7 years off when I lived in places where it wasn't possible to brew.

And when my son was born, I took a few months off. That time when babies are so young is pretty exhausting.

Like others have said, it's a hobby. Enjoy it, but without pressure. If you wanna take a break, take a break. You'll remember why you love it and come back. I did. More than once.

Hey mag357,

Bouts of fatigue and depression can happen to anyone. It can take the joy out of the things we love the most. For me what really helps is getting outside in nature and getting my heart pumping so I can feel living again. That and having some quality time with the wife. Try that for awhile and see if it gets you back on the homebrew wagon.

I've gotta lend support to those who said don't sell the equipment EVER. I sold some stuff during a break, and boy did I ever regret it when I started again.

I started brewing small batches every two weeks. I now have a 10 month old son. I brew when I have time and feel like it.What helps is having everything preped for the day you want to brew, so you can just brew I also brew bigger batches so I have something to drink on days when HE is exhausing.
From friends who also have kids I've learned this will pass as the kids grow older and your time becomes your own again.
Good luck in the meantime. You will survive itm

@bwarbiany:
I've switched to RO water this past year also. Started going to Kroger for ten gallons of their RO/DI in the refillable 5 gallon jugs with a screw on top. Pretty cheap that way. Then hooked up an old RO unit, used to keep reef tanks, to my filter rack. Now I just use about 8 gallons per brew so after I fill my HLT with the RO water I just let the unit refill my two jugs while I'm brewing. Then they are ready for the next brew session, whenever that may be.

I brew 10 gallon batches, so I'm typically making ~20 gallons of RO water per batch. It's not hard, I just let the unit fill up a bucket in the garage sink. It's just annoying.

I am about to have a baby and I really hope that I don't run into this same issue. For me I like to brew b/c it gets me in the garage with the guys drinking beer and making beer while the girls..and soon baby can do whatever it is they do inside. So make it more of a getaway and get some friends over to enjoy some guy time.

Honestly, baby #1 is easy. Especially when they're newborns. They basically don't do anything, they're immobile and can't cause trouble, and a father is largely useless to them at that age since they get fed by mom. I'm an involved parent, but a newborn didn't affect my brewing all that much.

It's when they get older--old enough to cause trouble but not old enough to be left alone--that it's hard.

Latest posts

Back