Homebrew bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone's tried to make bread with novel yeast strains from homebrew yeast purveyors.

For example, would a Belle Saison bread have a nice complex flavor? What abour Roselare blend for a sourdough? You see what I'm getting at.

I have a sourdough starter in my fridge, but something's gone off with it - the liquid above it has started getting more and more of an opaque green. I got this starter from my mom - I grew up in the SF Bay area so it's nice that I have access to real San Francisco sourdough starter. However, rather than wait until the next time I visit home, I got to wondering if some of the meticulously-crafted yeasts made for homebrewing might make interesting bread.

Brett bread? Saison bread? Flanders red bread? I want to hear about any experiments that have already happened along this vein.

Interesting idea. Following.

Your sourdough starter just sounds like it's separating from neglect. You should be good to just stir it in and feed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting idea. Following.

Your sourdough starter just sounds like it's separating from neglect. You should be good to just stir it in and feed it.

I have kept sourdough starters in the fridge and they've never gone green on me. So I'm not going to use this one (I'll dispose of it on the next trash day).

The last one I had was the same SF sourdough from my mom's supply - it never went green on me, but I hadn't fed it in several weeks and she was visiting so I asked her to bring a new one (just in case I killed the old one). I mixed the old with the new and that's when it started going green. I also switched to whole wheat flour at the same time; that could be the issue but even so, I'd rather start fresh without a suspicious looking starter.

I used it once when it was already lightly greenish, and it worked out fine. But at this point I'm not really comfortable proceeding with the starter because it's looking pretty awful.

Anyway, the point is, it got me thinking about whether a lacto/pedio/sacch blend might make a good sourdough starter! If nobody else has ever tried to get a sourdough culture going with roselare, I might give it a try. Only I can't exactly call myself a bread connoisseur yet, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to give "tasting notes" on the experiment.

Mine frequently gets a bluish/greenish tinge and separates when I've neglected it. I was told as long as it's not getting fuzzy it's fine.

Still interested in the yeast experiment though ;)

I've tried it a couple of times with sub par results. Brewing yeast doesn't seem to rise nearly as well as say Fleischmanns. I've tried both s-04 and bottle harvested Chimay. Every time I've tried, the loaves have been about halfway risen after 3+ hours. I think it might work of you incubate it all day, but I've yet to actually try that.
Edit- Forgot to mention, couldn't find much detectable ester presence in any of the bread. Hopefully that would change if the yeast where given enough time

I've tried it a couple of times with sub par results. Brewing yeast doesn't seem to rise nearly as well as say Fleischmanns. I've tried both s-04 and bottle harvested Chimay. Every time I've tried, the loaves have been about halfway risen after 3+ hours. I think it might work of you incubate it all day, but I've yet to actually try that.
Edit- Forgot to mention, couldn't find much detectable ester presence in any of the bread. Hopefully that would change if the yeast where given enough time

Ever use a sourdough starter? It's pretty much a given that you'll have to let it rise overnight for the first rise, unless you either have a super active starter (like you feed it twice a day) or you're making a sponge/biga/poolish which you basically let ferment overnight to become a super-active starter.

I've tried harvested US-05 - the bread tasted yeast and slightly hoppy. Maybe I used too much yeast?

Sourdough starters can be very robust. I made bread yesterday with a (100% rye) starter that spent almost two months in the fridge. The starter had separated, but didn't have fuzzy layer and no strange smell (smelled like yoghurt).

Seems like a great idea. I have a packet of pacman yeast that got a pinhole in it so I got another one for my beer. Any recommendations on how to use this to make bread? I have some spent grain I turned into flour. Seems like a logical combination.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/brewing-yeast-baking-324460/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/using-beer-yeast-make-bread-281709/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/using-yeast-bread-230548/

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/6772/beer-yeast

There's a few discussion on the subject. Also, a note on San Francisco starters, once they're removed from San Francisco, they will eventually no longer be a San Francisco starter, because they're picking up the wild yeast and other things floating around in your local air. The more you use it, and the more you feed it, the more local bugs it picks up.

Also, a note on San Francisco starters, once they're removed from San Francisco, they will eventually no longer be a San Francisco starter, because they're picking up the wild yeast and other things floating around in your local air. The more you use it, and the more you feed it, the more local bugs it picks up.

I have also heard that, but I kept a SF starter for quite a while and I never felt like it changed significantly in flavor. But, I was careful to never let it sit in the open (similar to how I would treat a beer yeast culture). So maybe it has to do with how the culture is treated as well.

Latest posts

Back