Home Brewery + Cigar room= Gentleman’s room! Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajae

Reaction score
Hey guys thought I would document my build here, hopping to get some info and ideas along the way. Just to get this out of the way, it’s going to be a slow build! A guy from work is helping me with and he is only available on Fridays after work. I’m aiming for end of year but I was going through my list and I got I little discouraged when I noticed all I would need even after I build out! Here are some pictures to hold you guys over until I work on it on Friday.
IMG_0543.JPG

The space i will be working with.
IMG_0544.JPG

To the right, but only from where the wall against back ends. I was denied all of it!
IMG_0545.JPG

To the left, I’ll be keeping the full size fridge for cold storage but also building a keezer
IMG_0546.JPG

Hosehead for my controller
IMG_0547.JPG

Inline fan for the cigar area, using a duct inline fan for above the brewery area
IMG_0548.JPG

I have SS tech pot for boil kettle as well as one for my my old boil kettle will be used at my mash tun.

Seems as good as anywhere, it is DIY. Some Brew Room threads are in General Discussion, I can move it if you like.
I love the idea of a Brewery Cigar Bar. Keep us posted.

Yes can you move it please? I think it sill get more traffic there, I’m going to need as much input as possible.

Hey lots of luck on the build! A brewery/cigar bar is a great idea! You should also post your tips on how you convinced your other half on giving you the green light! :D Keep the pics coming!

John

Hey lots of luck on the build! A brewery/cigar bar is a great idea! You should also post your tips on how you convinced your other half on giving you the green light! :D Keep the pics coming!

John

I just said “I’m going to make a cigar room section in the brewery”

Wife: is that going to be hard?

Me: nah I’ll just add another exhaust fan

Wife: That will be cool, you can invite the boys over. If your good I’ll get you a fancy poker table for Christmas.

Me: I’m always good!

Wife: hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha

OK, so tell us more about the actual brewing system you're going to use. I assume electric. BIAB? 2V kettle RIMS?, 3V HERMS? Curious about the footprint of the rig.

Also, what's the size/shape of the space? Do you have access to water? Drain(s)? What are you going to ferment in...how are you going to maintain ferm temps?

Now is the time to make sure you don't paint yourself into a corner or forget something that will cost much more to add later. We need to know more about your plans.

I'd like to build an indoor home brewery, so here are some of my thoughts.

Electric is a no-brainer, but not sure the style. I plan to buy a controller that is multi-element, multi-pump so that I can keep my options open. Will probably start with 2V kettle RIMS. Don't forget 220V 30 (ideally 60) amp source that GFCI.

Make sure you can store everything right there. I currently have to haul all my equipment from storage to brew location and it adds a bunch of time. Don't forget space for ingredients, milling station, fermentaton.

Have a place to wash, sanitize etc everything right there in the same room.

A floor drain is the ideal situation, but you need a way to dispose of chilling water, etc.

A coated concrete floor is nice....looks good, durable, and cleans easily.

It looks like you've given ventilation some thought. Don't forget that venting also requires that the air going out has to be replaced somehow. Many indoor brewers are starting to go with a condensation solution for steam mitigation instead of ventilation.

Those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I'm in the early planning stages of something that may never come to fruition, but if I do it, I'm doing it right.

Following! Sounds real nice so far. I'm going to build out my basement or shed into a brewery at some point too.

I told my wife our next house will have a separate building/shed/barn which will be my brew house and cigar lounge.

The thought of that is motivating me to move.

Good luck with your project.

Yea a floor drain would be the cat's meow! If you could plumb that in there it would be so valuable to be able to use it. Something to think about....

John

OK, so tell us more about the actual brewing system you're going to use. I assume electric. BIAB? 2V kettle RIMS?, 3V HERMS? Curious about the footprint of the rig.

Also, what's the size/shape of the space? Do you have access to water? Drain(s)? What are you going to ferment in...how are you going to maintain ferm temps?

Now is the time to make sure you don't paint yourself into a corner or forget something that will cost much more to add later. We need to know more about your plans.

I'd like to build an indoor home brewery, so here are some of my thoughts.

Electric is a no-brainer, but not sure the style. I plan to buy a controller that is multi-element, multi-pump so that I can keep my options open. Will probably start with 2V kettle RIMS. Don't forget 220V 30 (ideally 60) amp source that GFCI.

Make sure you can store everything right there. I currently have to haul all my equipment from storage to brew location and it adds a bunch of time. Don't forget space for ingredients, milling station, fermentaton.

Have a place to wash, sanitize etc everything right there in the same room.

A floor drain is the ideal situation, but you need a way to dispose of chilling water, etc.

A coated concrete floor is nice....looks good, durable, and cleans easily.

It looks like you've given ventilation some thought. Don't forget that venting also requires that the air going out has to be replaced somehow. Many indoor brewers are starting to go with a condensation solution for steam mitigation instead of ventilation.

Those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I'm in the early planning stages of something that may never come to fruition, but if I do it, I'm doing it right.

The space is about 225ish sqft if I remember correctly. It’s going to be a 3 vessel EHERMS, I posted the front of the controller in my opening post. It’s the Brewtronix Hosehead, I’ve heard and read very good things about it. Right now I have 2 15 gallon stainless steel conicals, I might the fermentisours or a unitank.

I mostly brew ales, pressure fermentation will help me start dipping into lagers but mostly better fermentation control. I do have a way to ventilate steam and smoke.

240v will be going hopefully going in today.

Yea a floor drain would be the cat's meow! If you could plumb that in there it would be so valuable to be able to use it. Something to think about....

John

I was thinking about it, I won’t be doing it now. However if I really need it I’ll have the work done then.

Finished up some things today, framing, tied in electric. We would have finished however my local Lowe’s or HD didn’t have and doesn’t look like they even carry 50 or 60 amp Square D QO breakers or or spa panel, Homefront seems to be the norm. I’ll have to order it online.

I had builder put in a blank for me when the electric was being installed. So I’m going to just go with GFCI breaker in the main panel. It’ll be in the same room as the brewery so no need for a big panel to be on the wall.

Next we need to finish ventilation,run plumbing, lights and soffits along there the HVAC is.

IMG_1166.JPG

Back wall in you enter, the EHERMS system will sit to the left of wall

IMG_1168.JPG

Closer look of back wall, if you look up top we started the ventilation!

IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG

Straight into the panel to 4 prong

Last edited:
After looking around the room and looking at some furniture I wanted for the room I decided to change the layout around. My mom creative mind can’t understand google sketch so don’t expect that. Excel sheet at best. I also have a YouTube channel so I may just explain in a video.

Back