Home Automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had seriously considered it at one time. Was even on track to become a Crestron, AMX, and Control 4 programmer. (I was also a Custom A/V Installer/Dealer)

Decided I didn't want the maintenance.

I'd love to do this, but my house is 130 years old. Every time I change a light bulb, 4 other things break. I'm terrified whenever I have to open up a wall. I never know what I'll find.

If I go down the automation rabbit hole it'll probably bankrupt me. :D

I'd love to do this, but my house is 130 years old. Every time I change a light bulb, 4 other things break. I'm terrified whenever I have to open up a wall. I never know what I'll find.

If I go down the automation rabbit hole it'll probably bankrupt me. :D

Ya it's easy to get a little carried away (much like home brewing). My wife won't let me open up the walls so I've been finding light bulbs, light switches and electrical outlets that are compatible with Home Assistant IO.

I have the Insteon and really like it but the components are so expensive! we have a thermostat, 3 switches, 2 outlets and 2 cameras

My house is coming close to completely automated. I use a combo of smartthings hub, IFTTT, and rulemachine for automation and Amazon Echos and Dots for voice control.

I replaced all of my switches with GE Z-wave switches. These are controlled by several different routines that use a combo of our phones, blink cameras, PIR sensors and the time of day to run the different routines for lighting. This also acts as a security system that arms based on our presence. Guest modes are included in this so when company arrives our routines turn off and voice control becomes the primary means of control.

I also have a nest, several nest protects, Ring Pro Doorbell, myq garage opener, Rachio sprinkler, and a Schlage lock.

I think home automation still has a ways to go before it will be mainstream. Unless you are willing to only purchase components that have factory integration with your hub you will have to put in some effort to get everything to work together. If you only go with components with factory integration you can end up being somewhat limited on functionality and end up paying more. I also think it is probably to expensive. I would have to leave my lights on which are all LED a very long time to ever justify the cost of all of my switches. But like home brewing it is a hobby and was not started to save money. The Nest and Rachio are probably the only two I could justify by the amount of money I will save.

My current project is installing a gopher automated valve. I have leak sensors strategically placed around my house. If the sensors ever detect water the valve will shut off at the main line entry point to my house stopping any major flooding. I may also have it shut off when home mode is set to away. This one was the easiest to justify. Flooding and the damage that is associated including mold can turn very expensive even with insurance.

Back