Holy stuck sparge! How do I get water right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time poster and first time stuck sparger! What a giant mess and I'm still knee deep in it.

So, my question is after I just added a gallon of boiling water to help get my beer unstuck, can I just add the next batch sparge like I would have and just cut off the sparge when I reach my target volume??

Thanks for the help

You'll lose a few points of efficiency this way, but yep. Otherwise, you can just make your next batch a gallon or so smaller (if it would still be big enough to saturate the grain).

Well, I'm ok with losing a couple of points. Screw a couple of points. I just want to make sure I'm not effing my beer up with all this extra 200 F water.

I'd try to keep your temps down a bit below that, such that your mash doesn't go much above 175F or so. If your pH is off (which it might be, due to the extra water), the heat aids and abets some extraction of husk astringency.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. But I haven't messed with Ph checks so far so I have no idea if that's way out of whack or not. The mash is sitting around 160 after I poured in my hot water so hopefully that won't be a big issue

duffman2 said:
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. But I haven't messed with Ph checks so far so I have no idea if that's way out of whack or not. The mash is sitting around 160 after I poured in my hot water so hopefully that won't be a big issue

160 is fine.

Back