Holy Moley!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneygumble

Reaction score
I am old skool, mason jar, give it a swirl when you walk by kinda starter guy.

I have done hundreds of starters.

Tonight, my Wyeast American Ale starter got outta hand. The Northwest, from the same wort starter, was normal.

The AA, got foamy, aggressive, spewing and nasty. I was swirling that bad boy constantly so the CO2 would vent thru the loose cap and still I wore a bit of it. Did I get a "hot" batch of yeast? I've done starters with this yeast countless times and its never been this aggressive. Whats up here? Side by side, the Northwest is behaving normally. Same 1.040 starter culture. I will pitch two good starters tomorrow and get good results, I know.

But why did the AA get so nasty this time? Both were made at the same time, both had the same culture. Both had the same initial treatment. Usually the AA is faster but not like this.

Was it fresher?

Bought both from NB at the same time. With the turnover, and the popularity of both, I would assume both would be fresh. But the AA was out of stock and that stalled deliv. so I would assume I got stuff straight from Wyeast on this one, with a transfer at NB. But still. Wow. This yeast is on crack.

Update: The yeast musta eaten its fill. Its starting to slow down. Last swirl produced a normal serious offgass and foam. Like I had with the NW earlier. I've never had a yeast this aggressive. I am gonna brew another batch on this cake, straight up! Prolly an IPA, let the yeast and the hops fight it out. Just. Wow. I lost 20% of volume to volcano's squirting outta the sides of the lid. That was just from lifting the jar. I couldn't really swirl it till just now.

Back