Holy Blowoff Beerman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
Well I if nothing else I am consistent with blow offs! My first batch I accidentally tried to ferment in a 5 gallon carboy. On my way out the door for a business trip I caught it overflowing slowly. I moved into the 6 gallon bucket and reset the air lock. This time I brewed yesterday afternoon and correctly put it into my 5 gallon bucket. Walked through my home office on the way to the garage and it smelled like beer. I walked over to find everything around the bucket soaked with a good amount on the ground. Guess I need a bigger bucket and/or a blow off tube. At this point I have it on the blanket in the other room. I'll clean up the airlock and replace the sanitizer before replacing it. Ugh.

fty7.jpg

Update: I used my siphon hose to create a blow off hose. Have it going into a gallon jug with 1/2 gall of sanitizer

I just install a blowoff every time, just to be safe. It turned out to be needed on almost every beer I've made. Unless you're using champagne yeast or something. Then I'll switch to a regular airlock when I transfer to secondary.

Back