Holiday Ale - Secondary or Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBain

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing...my third brew. I have a Brewers Best Holiday ale in a primary for 13 days.

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.012 after one test
Finish: 1.015-1.018

I was going to leave it in the primary until this weekend then bottle. Took FG reading to see where I was at and think it's done. Do I bottle or let it clear up a little in a secondary for a week?

I do appreciate any advice...

Leave it be until the weekend, see how it cleans up. Let the yeast clean up a bit more :)

Also...let me know how the brew turns out! Need a holiday ale recipe or kit...

Let it clear up in the primary for another week or so. I did a secondary on my first 3 brews but now I question why I bothered. Once mine reach FG I leave them a few more days and then I bottle.

I'm bottle conditioning this same kit.
It was my second brew.
I left mine in the primary for four weeks.

It's been five weeks since bottling and it's just now loosing it's 'bite'. I'm starting to like it. I've read where it is great the next Spring . . . . :D

I'm new to brewing myself, and I don't understand what that 'twang' is from the green extract beers, but it disappears.

If nothing else, this hobby teaches you patience.

'da Kid

I appreciate the info.. I will drink this for Valentines Day...:)....instead of flowers she will get a drunk... Thanks

This same ale is my first attempt at brewing as well. Tomorrow will be a week and I was wondering if I should go to secondary. However, I did strain my wort before going in my primary so I believe for this one, I'll leave it in at least another week and check my readings before deciding to bottle.

This same ale is my first attempt at brewing as well. Tomorrow will be a week and I was wondering if I should go to secondary. However, I did strain my wort before going in my primary so I believe for this one, I'll leave it in at least another week and check my readings before deciding to bottle.

Straining your wort shouldn't matter much since most of whatever junk that you carry over from the brewpot would just settle out anyway in the primary along with the yeast. What matters is whether the beer is done fermenting and has had enough time for the yeast to "clean up" the beer, as well as enough time for it to clear up. Secondary isn't necessary, I'd suggest just leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then check gravity to make sure its done before bottling.

JBain,
I noticed your OG also came out higher than the kit instructions stated.
Mine was 1.072
FG ended up at 1.007

Pretty happy leaving it in Primary for the full four weeks.

I siphoned the cooled wort through a double screen colander and a bunch of the spice and hop goodness made it into the fermenter.

The cleaned plastic bucket still smells of spices a month later.:D

There's a couple good BB Holiday Ale kit threads from years past on here.

'da Kid

Kid....

When I took my hydro reading, I didn't stir the wort.. It sat and cooled for a couple of hours. I took the temp and racked into primary as I took the OG reading. I did do a 5 gal boil so it shouldn't be too far off. I hope..?

I will take another FG this weekend (check) and let it set another week to finish/ clear (4 weeks total). Then bottle..?
I'm learning patience... :)

Thanks for your help....and all the info!

What are you brewing next? I have a BB Weizenbeir I was going to do around February...?

ScotBrew...
That's my question.. What should I do next..? DARK.. Fruity.. Nutty.. Or what my wife likes..:).

It's like a kid in a candy store..😜...:)

Kid.... <snip>
Thanks for your help....and all the info!

What are you brewing next? I have a BB Weizenbeir I was going to do around February...?

The BB Weizenbier was my first. Easy and ready in 4 weeks. Had that twang at 2 weeks after bottling. 4 weeks onward it is great. Over cooked it and made it darker than it should be. I now add 1/2 the LME(one container) at the start of boil and add the rest at the 15min remaining mark.

I think my Holiday Ale OG was high because I started my steeping with cold water, heated until 155degF and then started the 30min soak.
AND rinsed the grains with 155degF water.

Just purchased a second Holiday Ale.
1) Because I couldn't decide what I wanted to brew next.
2) My conversation with the LHBS kid was all about my brew session and he mentioned that once the Seasonal kits are gone, that's it until next year. Couldn't have that . . . . . . ;)

There's a lot of good tips on here and on the 'net about how to tweak the most from an extract kit.

'da Kid

Oh, next is a kit from Listermann in Cincinnati. I had one of their beers at a REDS game and they set me up with the ingredients. Hoping to brew this Saturday, being a Holiday and all.

Serpentine Wheat . . . . .an American Wheat with a Sorachi dry hop
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/listermann-serpentine-wheat/208410/

ScotBrew...
That's my question.. What should I do next..? DARK.. Fruity.. Nutty.. Or what my wife likes..:).

It's like a kid in a candy store..&#128540;...:)

I'm drinking the BB Belgian Saison right now. I can highly recommend.
The new Belle Saison yeast is an beast.
It went from 1.055 down to 1.002

I had to read up a lot on how to properly read a hydrometer, but the reading was correct. I know what a dry beer is now. :D I'll be doing this one again!

'da Kid

this is my first brew too. The bubbles stopped after 4 days in the primary so i transfered it to my carboy, the bubbles started right away once int he carboy. I plan on letting it rest for 2 weeks then bottle like the instructions say to do. Hopefully it will taste good around Christmas.

this is my first brew too. The bubbles stopped after 4 days in the primary so i transfered it to my carboy, the bubbles started right away once int he carboy. I plan on letting it rest for 2 weeks then bottle like the instructions say to do. Hopefully it will taste good around Christmas.

PGHcableguy said:

Let me know how yours turned out... I bottled mine right at week 4 off of the primary. I will try one on Thanksgiving. I think it will be good..

Just finished a BB Belgian Stout today. It tasted real sweet. Will see..?

Thanks for the info...

Anyone try one from these dates? I went in the primary 10 days and secondary 7. It's been in the bottle for 10 days now and I'm hoping ready for xmas, though I don't want to rush it. Would be nice to see how it turned out for y'all.

Primary for 4 weeks then bottled.

I tried one at 3 weeks (Thanksgiving) and it was ok. Green and not fussed.. Alcohol was the after taste.

3 weeks ok
4 weeks better
5 weeks good
6 weeks real good
7 weeks.... I hope I have some left for Christmas! I'm drinking one now.

Like they say... Better with age!

awesome, that sounds like a typical progression for most beers that aren't hop-forward, at least by my experience. I remember reading someone post on here awhile back that if your last beer was the best tasting one of the batch, then you drank the rest of them too soon. Congrats on good beer.

I made this one a while ago and it's been in the bottle for 4 weeks now. every week I try one and just had one right now. every week, it's better and better!

Back