Hole cutting advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmer0817

Reaction score
After spending months reading and studying - basically stalling for time - I'm very likely going to do something decisive tomorrow and cut the top of my son's keg to make a keggle.

I imagine that I will soon be wanting to cut some holes in this keg in order to make an e-keggle.

Reading the forums, I find three different tools for making holes in kettles:
1. stepper bit
2. hole saw
3. radio punch (knockout punch, and other names)

To me - having never made a hole in a kettle - it seems that the hole punch would be the simplest method by far, so I don't know why anyone would want to make holes any other way. What are the reasons why you would choose one method over the other? Does it have something to do with the diameter or the hole? whether it's aluminum or stainless steel? the thickness of the kettle?

Thanks,
Keith

Simplest answer: a good Greenlee punch is a pricey bit, especially if you're only going to knock out a couple of holes, and still requires a drilled hole. Step bits can be had pretty cheap, and with careful use can last long enough to put a few holes in a keg...

Cheers!

get a step bit (at least 7/8" maximum size on the step) from some place like harbor freight, and use cooking oil to keep it lubricated. 5 minutes or so, and you have a nice clean hole. i got the bit from harbor freight for $8, and used it for all 3 of my kegs, for a total of 5 holes.

Step bits work. If work-hardened, your life will become hell. I've drilled about 6 kegs (including the 1 1/4 holes for several electric kegs). Suckola. Go slow and use cutting oil.

I haven't used a punch but I'm jealous of others that have. If I could do it over again, I'd skip the step bits and get the punches.

If you can afford a punch, get one. I've cursed a lot less at my step bit since I got one and I find it a million times easier to drill a 3/8" hole and punch it than to deal with the step bit.

passedpawn said:
Step bits work. If work-hardened, your life will become hell. I've drilled about 6 kegs (including the 1 1/4 holes for several electric kegs). Suckola. Go slow and use cutting oil.

I haven't used a punch but I'm jealous of others that have. If I could do it over again, I'd skip the step bits and get the punches.

This +1000

Just be careful if/when you buy the punches. They come in 2 different varieties. One punches a hole that is the size stated and the other is a "knock out punch" that makes holes for conduit connectors. That one is labeled with its 'nominal' hole size and makes a hole that is larger. Measure, measure and measure again. You only get one shot at it each time.

Just be careful if/when you buy the punches. They come in 2 different varieties. One punches a hole that is the size stated and the other is a "knock out punch" that makes holes for conduit connectors. That one is labeled with its 'nominal' hole size and makes a hole that is larger. Measure, measure and measure again. You only get one shot at it each time.

+1 on this advice. Electrical KO cutters measure larger than the designated size. 1/2" cutter actually cut a 7/8" hole 3/4" cuts an 1 1/8" ect....

KO punches are the way to go. You've gotten great advice on checking the size of the hole. Try this place. When I purchased they had some good deals.

Not sure what size holes you need, but I think I linked to the 1.25" needed for mounting elements.

Back