Hockey Stick Tap Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
So I was sitting on the couch watching the NHL playoffs tonight and decided to make a new tap handle out of a broken stick, pretty happy with the results! Might tape the end of it to give it a more authentic look, might make a baseball one next with the handle of a broken wood bat.

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

And here I was thinking about tossing my old broken sticks! Very cool, may be stealing this idea soon!

Ouch Supreme one. 200 dollar beer tap :)

Actually not so much considering it was a broken stick. Had it not been broken then I would have questioned it too but recycling a broken stick is a great idea.

Just an FYI, if you guys live near a Total Hockey, they'll at least give you $10 off a new stick if you bring in your old broken one. Better than nothing when the composite inevitably breaks a week after the warranty is up.

That all said, I wish I had my old wooden sticks after they broke. That would make an awesome bar top after laying some of the self leveling epoxy over the top. Would be cool to look down and see "Sher-wood, Cooper" etc staring back up at you. ;)

I just broke a stick in a game -- I'd rather make a tap handle than get $10 from Total Hockey. Can you explain how you added the threaded fitting? The composite sticks are hollow, so you must have threaded some sort of plug, right? Thanks!

I just broke a stick in a game -- I'd rather make a tap handle than get $10 from Total Hockey. Can you explain how you added the threaded fitting? The composite sticks are hollow, so you must have threaded some sort of plug, right? Thanks!

I just drilled out the plastic end plug with 1/2" bit and screwed in the adapter (top pic)

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Stai...ded_Tap_Handle_Insert_p/tap-handle-insert.htm

Kind of had to pound the plug back into the stick but the whole process took about 15 minutes, not sure what I'd do if you don't have the end plug.

you don't need both parts to get the discount.

To your question though, as long as you have the tools, cut a piece of wood so that it will fit inside the shaft. Drill a hole for the threaded insert to fit in, and put in in there, then glue the piece inside the shaft.

Or, you could take a couple of stacked hex nuts, threaded on a bolt, and smear some JB weld on the outside of the nuts, then put it up in the shaft. Remove the bolt once it hardens. Just a thought..

This thread is making me realize that I have the 2 most expensive hobbies. Need to find some cheaper ones 😛

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This thread is making me realize that I have the 2 most expensive hobbies. Need to find some cheaper ones 😛

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try sailing and car racing. :)

And you can drink beer after playing hockey, so at least they are complementary hobbies . . .

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

And you can drink beer after playing hockey, so at least they are complementary hobbies . . .

ha, we just won our game vs the top seed team tonight. Unfortunately, 2 cases of PBR and a case of Labatt later....

Ummm, ALL hobbies are complementary to beer drinking. :)

Back