HLT HERMS 120v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrobinson

Reaction score
I'm wanting to upgrade my HLT to a HERMS coil with a PID keeping the temp correct. It is an 10g HLT however I do 5g batches. Could I use a 2000w heating element and do you guys think it would enough?

Do the PID's work on 120 or only 240?
Also for the panel I am just wanting to built a simple one with:
PID
SSA
on/off switch for two pumps
temp probe/thermowell

Has anyone built a simple setup like this ?

Thanks !

I've been toying around with building a eHLT/HERMS as well that will start off at 120V. Before you go down this route there are some things you should consider.

A 2000W element at 120V will draw 16.6amps. This means you must be on at least a 20 amp breaker. Next, not counting an loss due to radiation or conduction the 2000W element would be capable of raising 10 gallons of water 1 degree in ~.75s (or 75min to raise it 100 degrees).

I've decided this is fine for what I need as I can heat my strike water while I crush grains and weight out hops.

As for the PID, all should be capable of running at 120 or 240 (but double check to be sure). When you are purchasing a SSR, get a relay that is rated for twice the load you plan on switching. In this case, a 40amp SSR would be good. You should be able to get a good 40amp SSR for ~$12.

Now don't forget, if you have 2 march pumps (which each draw 1.4 amps) you are not at 19.4 amps with no other electronics.

If you can spare a little more time heating you might want to consider running a 240V 5500W element at 120V. The wattage will be quartered so the resultant output will be 1375W. This setup would only use 11.5amps and it would take about a minute to raise 10gallons 1 degree.

Good point on the 5500w. I may go that route or use a 1500w. I'm only heating enough water to sparge with/ cover the HERMS coil. So realistically I would only be looking at 45, 50 mins to heat up the water which would be fine since the strike water is going to to be heated by gas.

Back