hissing sounds....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
does anyone else hate when they open their keggerator, the thing is running, and you could swear you hear a hissing sound....lol, and the scale i keep my tank on i could swear has lost 3 pounds....DAMN IT!

I am that way when I put a new keg in it. I will turn everything off for a few minutes to make sure, then I will charge the keg, and turn of the gas off at the regulator and come back about a half hour later to make sure it still held pressure. I have a lost a couple bottles of CO2 **RIP***

I am that way when I put a new keg in it. I will turn everything off for a few minutes to make sure, then I will charge the keg, and turn of the gas off at the regulator and come back about a half hour later to make sure it still held pressure. I have a lost a couple bottles of CO2 **RIP***

that reminds me...need to shut off the valve and wait a few hours and make sure it's holding pressure....thanks... ! was too concerned with joking about it, to think straight....lol

edit: and that's serious, not sarcasm....

i usually have a piece of blue tape covering directly over the indicator arrow of the tank pressure. Each time I go downstairs to get a drink i just make sure it hasn't really moved. That way I know that there aren't any leaks (for now)

I have lost 3 20# tanks because of leaks. I hate it. I put everything underwater to make sure, and I still manage to F it up.

I want a flow meter or something that will tell me everytime CO2 is flowing.

i usually have a piece of blue tape covering directly over the indicator arrow of the tank pressure. Each time I go downstairs to get a drink i just make sure it hasn't really moved. That way I know that there aren't any leaks (for now)

unfortunately, tank pressure is a constant as long as there is still liquid in it....that's why i keep mine on top of a bathroom scale....

I have lost 3 20# tanks because of leaks. I hate it. I put everything underwater to make sure, and I still manage to F it up.

I want a flow meter or something that will tell me everytime CO2 is flowing.

i can't even remember how many tanks i've lost....but a flow meter would be nice, i think they have gauges for it, for oxygen welding tanks....possibly something to look into....?

I really need something that meters it as it leaves the tank. Probably expensive and not worth it.

Man I hate losing a tank though.

An alarm of some sort would be nice too.

I have an alarm on my upright freezer because. . . Well . . . We don't talk about it

Last edited:
100_0581.JPG

my solution...and god damn it... looks like i lost another two pounds....!!!....i really need silicon gas line....

edit: think i found the leak, gas post on my pin lock keg....have to pull it out and replace the o-ring....and lube it with vasoline...

Don't know about that specific model but there are all kinds of bubble gauges out there, little ones, bigger ones, skinny, wide, tapered, etc.

Anyway, the idea would be to connect the bubble gauge to a regulator output in a proper orientation (vertical, with the regulator feeding the bottom end) then use it to potentially detect leaks.

Obviously if one has a keg being brought up to carbonation level there will be gas flowing so setup and interpretation would be important. But let's say one has four fully carb'd kegs on a manifold and yet there's a stream of bubbles. One could fathom there is a leak somewhere, so shutting off manifold valves to isolate the leaky run would be facilitated by the gauge. Once the leaky run is identified one could disconnect the gas QD from the keg and see if the leak ceases, which would finger the keg. Etc, etc...

Cheers!

Sounds good to me. I am going to see if I can find one at a reasonable price point that can withstand beer pressures.

Back