Hissing, losing co2 from regulator release valve.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
I've got a single body regulator, and recently it's starting behaving very angrily... It would hiss and release pressure anywhere above 10PSI... I could occasionally get it to hold pressure by futzing with it just right, but it's stopped cooperating all together...

What are my options? I have some npt plugs that I can put in there... Is that going to be safe enough, or do i need a safety? I can't seem to find replacements anywhere.

I wonder if you are missing a seal or the nut is not tight enough where the regulator attaches to the tank/input, or the fitting/output? You may want to consider a new regulator as well. Good luck.

My double regulators' release valves are touchy too but still seal up to about 45 psi when fiddled with. Yours failing at 10 psi means something is wrong, probably the seal inside, which maybe rubber, or the spring lost or never had appropriate tension.

Not sure if these PRVs are "serviceable."

Had the same thing repeatedly, with a Kegco regulator.
Futzing with it, no help, replaced from same vendor, no help, plugged it off with an NPT plug to use until I could upgrade my regulator.

Had the same thing repeatedly, with a Kegco regulator.
Futzing with it, no help, replaced from same vendor, no help, plugged it off with an NPT plug to use until I could upgrade my regulator.

I think that'll be what I'll end up doing, plug the hole, and put it in the closet, maybe as my travel regulator or something. Thanks.

Back