Hint of Coconut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsalmo

Reaction score
Greetings! I have a cream ale recipe (light, smooth and citrusy) that I would like to tweak with the faintest hint of coconut (aiming for tip of-the-tongue flavor). I was originally thinking of boiling & adding coconut water to the secondary but my limited research aims towards adding toasted coconut flakes instead. I run 5 gal batches, so my question is: "how much toasted coconut flakes (or alternative) should I add to get a subtle coconut flavor". I would rather shoot for the conservative side than to end up with a very noticeable flavor. Thoughts? Many thanks!

Let me ask Victor in the store tomorrow. He did a Almond Joy beer and NAILED it! The coconut was intense and PERFECT!!! So, I know you wont want to use as much as he did but it will at least let you know "HOW" he added it and how much. I'll chat with him tomorrow and report back as soon as I can..

Cheers
Jay

OK so I talked to Victor this afternoon and this is what he did. Remember the coconut flavor was like eating an Almond Joy candy bar.

1 bag of 24oz per 5.5 gallon batch. The coconut was from Costco and was the coconut pieces.. Shred in house in a quisinart then toasted in oven for 90min @200 deg F......went in the boil 1 min before flame out in a nylon bag, then that bag went into the primary fermenter for 1 week then removed bag of coconut and continued primary for 21 more days.
Tasting notes are the coconut flavor was intense at first and then faded rather quickly as the beer aged.

Hope that helps..

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay! Will try that toasting method. Might go real small on the quantity to play it safe. Perhaps 4 oz. If anything, it will add a tittle complexity.
Cheers, Dan

Latest posts

Back