Hike to Camping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where in Texas offers hike to camping? Be it to a designated spot away from it all or a place that offers camp where you like.

Used to live in Tx and did lots of backpacking. Many great back country possibilities in Texas like canyons in NW TX (Palo Dura, Caprock...), Big Bend, Guadelupe Mountains...

But, this is all back country hiking/camping with no facilities once you leave the park head quarters (at least it was years ago). What's your definition of "camping"?

I like to take on beast form and roam the wilds. :D

I've done campground car camping, drive out as far as you can car camping, canoe camping and a little hike to camping. Canoe camping is great. You get to go places it's either impractical or impossible to walk to and you don't have to carry an ice chest full of beer on your back. :p

I would also like to know some good places. It seems like most state parks consider camping to be "pitching a tent in the grass next to a parking lot in immediate proximity to dozens of other people". Not that I didn't enjoy the experiences, but it was hardly my ideal camping scenario.

The only places I have had good, secluded camping spots have been on private land.

Enchanted Rock has some good secluded campsites, but you probably want to get out there soon before it gets too hot. Great place to do some bouldering.

Enchanted Rock has some good secluded campsites, but you probably want to get out there soon before it gets too hot. Great place to do some bouldering.

Enchanted Rock is fantastic. Great hiking/bouldering/cave exploring/scenery. I've been back several times. I don't remember there being much in the way of secluded camping, but at least their were some "walk-in" sites that weren't right next to the pavement.

Enchanted Rock is fantastic. Great hiking/bouldering/cave exploring/scenery. I've been back several times. I don't remember there being much in the way of secluded camping, but at least their were some "walk-in" sites that weren't right next to the pavement.

There are a few Primitive Backpacking Sites, but they're a few miles in.

Enchanted Rock looks good. :mug: At least, not "pitching a tent in the grass next to a parking lot in immediate proximity to dozens of other people". That's a nice enough way to hang outside with friends for a weekend, but...

Back