Highest attenuation for Wyeast 1332??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beowulf

Reaction score
I have a big yeastcake from a ~5.8% abv Rye Stout where I used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale, and would like to use part of it for a RIS. I've made a few batches with this yeast and so far the best attenuation I've had with it is about 75%, and that was with a Juniper Rye IPA. This is a bit higher than average, but I've experienced consistently higher than average attenuation for a number of batches with other yeasts as well.

With the RIS there will be a lot more roasted/colored malts, so I'm concerned that I'll have a difficult time eeking out 77% attenuation (I'm shooting for 1.096/1.020). I'm thinking of keeping the mash temp low (<150F) and using about 5% demerara sugar and mashing for 90-120 mins, but not sure if that'll be enough to get my target attenuation. If it's definitely a losing proposition, I'm not opposed to throwing in a packet of S-04 or Notty to help with the attenuation. I do, however like the maltiness of 1332 so I'd prefer to keep it as part of the equation.

So basically this amounts to a couple of questions:

Has anyone used 1332 for a RIS? If so, how did it turn out?

What's the best/highest attenuation you've experienced with this yeast?

Thanks!!

Back