Higher OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsonb

Reaction score
I have brewed 7 batches to date and have been over gravity on every single one by about .010 if not more (up to .20 over). I tested my hydrometer and it reads dead on 1.000 in tap water. Wondering if anyone has an idea of why I am always over gravity on these extract brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Similar results in both partial and full volume boils and the volume measurements are based off of the sticker on the fermentation bucket from the brew shop. Never checked it to be honest.

I have done 6 or 7 extract brews so far and I have been over gravity on every one. The highest was my Pale Ale, was supposed to be 5.5% and came out 8.6%. Haven't been able to figure out why but I am not complaining.

Similar results in both partial and full volume boils and the volume measurements are based off of the sticker on the fermentation bucket from the brew shop. Never checked it to be honest.

Using a pitcher, fill with water and see if the markings are off. I have one that is accurate, and others that aren't even close!

+1 to verifying the bucket markings, mine aren't correct either. In addition, for any batch you are adding top off water there is always the possibility that you are getting a bad mix of water to wort causing a bad reading as well, this is a common problem.

For the hydrometer calibration are you checking your sample at the calibrated temperature of the hydrometer, many are 68oF, it will say on the paper strip.

I have done 6 or 7 extract brews so far and I have been over gravity on every one. The highest was my Pale Ale, was supposed to be 5.5% and came out 8.6%. Haven't been able to figure out why but I am not complaining.

As long as you're using the proper volumes, you can't overshoot your OG on extract brewing (the sugars have already been converted in the manufacturing process of the extract). You might have a bad hydrometer.

Back