Higher OG than recipe states..Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
My brew buddy and I, brewing only our second batch, attempted a clone this past weekend. The recipe states the OG at 1.086, but our pre-ferment sample read 1.121. What can we expect, if anything, from such a descrepancy? What could we have done incorrectly?

It's going to be strong :) I just modded a recipe this weekend...OG per recipe was 1.046...mine was: 1.081. LOL! It'll probably be good, but I'm going to suspect that you used too much sugar somewhere.

My brew buddy and I, brewing only our second batch, attempted a clone this past weekend. The recipe states the OG at 1.086, but our pre-ferment sample read 1.121. What can we expect, if anything, from such a descrepancy? What could we have done incorrectly?

It sounds like it wasn't mixed up well. Did you use some water to top up the batch after boiling the wort?

What was the temp of the wort when you took your reading? Did you test your Thermometer for accuracy? (I say this cause I have read that some people have gotten thermometers that were 10 degrees off! Boil some water with the themometer in it and make sure when it starts boiling its 212 Degrees F) Just a thought

The way this recipe was setup pretty much had us down to our last 1/2 gal of cold water. Everything else was boiled in 2 stove pots and the final brew pot was on a propane burner on the porch. I did multiple aeration pours from fermentor to pot prior to cool down and yeast pitching. So Im assuming we did enough to get everything mixed well. I took the OG reading when the wort was at 60 deg. (We actually were using 3 different thermometers, so I hope theyre accurate!!)

In all honesty, I wont be upset if my first couple of batches are off a bit. As long as I can drink them, Ill be happy. Just the satisfaction of knwing that I brewed it will offset any anomolies my first batch or 2 might have:)

The way this recipe was setup pretty much had us down to our last 1/2 gal of cold water. Everything else was boiled in 2 stove pots and the final brew pot was on a propane burner on the porch. I did multiple aeration pours from fermentor to pot prior to cool down and yeast pitching. So Im assuming we did enough to get everything mixed well. I took the OG reading when the wort was at 60 deg. (We actually were using 3 different thermometers, so I hope theyre accurate!!)

In all honesty, I wont be upset if my first couple of batches are off a bit. As long as I can drink them, Ill be happy. Just the satisfaction of knwing that I brewed it will offset any anomolies my first batch or 2 might have:)

At 1.121, you would have a very high ABV beer that would finish exceedingly sweet. Luckily, that's probably an incorrect reading unless you added a few extra pounds of honey or something.

If you followed a recipe and used all the ingredients and had the correct volume, it's impossible to miss the OG of the recipe. The sugars are there, and won't increase or decrease.

If you tell us the recipe, and the finished amount of wort in the fermenter, we can tell you how your OG should be.

I did about a half dozen extract, partial boils, and the ones that were supposed to have high OG, my readings were off (both high and low). I blame that on adding the water, even though I usually shook the heck out of the carboy before taking a gravity reading.

I'll admit I never had one come in so high though.

Now I've got the turkey fryer and have been doing full boils (still extract) and things are coming in on track, the hardest part is starting with the right amount of water. Sometimes too much evaporates, other times it's not enough!

Ok, here's the recipe. My brew buddy is the one who chose this one. I found it difficult, or a bit overwhelming, for only our second batch. We had 3 different boils going at once. Keeping track & maintaining the correct temperatures was challenging having never done it before.

Extra Export Stout (clone)
10lbs Dingmans pale malt
1 lb Special B malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1.25 lbs roasted barley
3 lbs Belgian dark candi
14 AAU nugget hops (60min)
(1oz of 14% alpha acids)
1/2 ozNugget hops (20min)
White Labs WLP510 (Bastogne Belgian Ale) yeast

Ok, here's the recipe. My brew buddy is the one who chose this one. I found it difficult, or a bit overwhelming, for only our second batch. We had 3 different boils going at once. Keeping track & maintaining the correct temperatures was challenging having never done it before.

Extra Export Stout (clone)
10lbs Dingmans pale malt
1 lb Special B malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1.25 lbs roasted barley
3 lbs Belgian dark candi
14 AAU nugget hops (60min)
(1oz of 14% alpha acids)
1/2 ozNugget hops (20min)
White Labs WLP510 (Bastogne Belgian Ale) yeast

Wow- an AG batch for your second brew? Pretty ambitious. Is that a five gallon batch? If so, I'd have to guess your OG (without the candi sugar) to be in the neighborhood of 1.060 or so and then the addition of three pounds of sugar would give you an additional 22 points. I can't see that recipe and ending with 5 gallons giving you anywhere close to 1.121. It's just not possible.

Well, I guess Im showing my "wet behind the ears" experience when it comes to brewing. I made sure the wort had cooled to 60 deg before I took the reading. I guess only time will tell and Ill take another reading once the fermentation process has finished. I took several readings when I saw that it was so high and they kept coming back right at 1.121. And yes, this is a 5gal batch.
We followed the recipe instructions as best we could. Who knows what Im gonna end up with!

Ill keep my fingers crossed for now and see what comes of my first two batches. Ive read the Hefes are a good style for the first time brewer. Could yall point me toward a Erdinger clone. Or something similar? Thanx.

Update on this batch: after 7 days of fermentation got a reading of 1.057. Then tonight, after 10 days, 1.054. Just 3 days ago it was very sweet, but 3 days later much of that sweetness has subsided, albeit stil sweet. Tastes like a 'sweetish stout' to me. Would it be safe to assume that I just let it ferment until the SG readings level out? If my initial measurement was correct, the batch is sitting right at 8.9% after 10 days.

You're around 30 points higher on OG than you should be. Sure you had the correct amount of water?? Not sure how that grain bill would produce a 1.121 SG.

Man Im a *******! Finally figured out why my readings were so high. Somehow, I dont know, we were a gallon short of water. I was taking a day 15 reading to see if it had changed any and noticed the level was at the 4 gallon mark. Doh!!! That explains the off the chart OG.

Question now is, what do I do? Do I bottle it as is and have a really stout beer, or will it throw the whole taste off? I planned on bottling it at the 3 week mark.

Daffypuck said:
Man Im a *******! Finally figured out why my readings were so high. Somehow, I dont know, we were a gallon short of water. I was taking a day 15 reading to see if it had changed any and noticed the level was at the 4 gallon mark. Doh!!! That explains the off the chart OG.

Question now is, what do I do? Do I bottle it as is and have a really stout beer, or will it throw the whole taste off? I planned on bottling it at the 3 week mark.

As long as the hydrometer floats it shouldn't matter if you have 4 gallons or 5...what temperature did you mash at?

Actually. I realized what you were saying. U finished your boil at 4 gallons instead of 5 which raised your OG and FG. Well you have a choice: add water or drink it the way it is. I would say taste it and if you like it leave it. If you think it will benefit from being watered down then top of to 5 gallons.

No, what I meant is, it was supposed to be a 5 gallon recipe. But we used only 4 gallons. So had we used the 5th gallon, the OG wouldve been much closer to what the recipe called for. From what Ive read here on the forum, we could just bottle it as is and get what might equate to an Imperial Stout, or add some boiled water to the fermented wort prior to bottling. The fermented wort tastes pretty good. Its real thick and stout tasting, but nothing over the top. Its sitting right at 8.9-9.0%.

Haha, we were typing at the same time. Thanx for the tip. Im thinking we'll leave it be and just let it condition for a long while and hope we get a good end product. Besides my brewing partner loves really heavy thick beer.

Daffypuck said:
No, what I meant is, it was supposed to be a 5 gallon recipe. But we used only 4 gallons. So had we used the 5th gallon, the OG wouldve been much closer to what the recipe called for. From what Ive read here on the forum, we could just bottle it as is and get what might equate to an Imperial Stout, or add some boiled water to the fermented wort prior to bottling. The fermented wort tastes pretty good. Its real thick and stout tasting, but nothing over the top. Its sitting right at 8.9-9.0%.

Yep. You got it.

I have an Imperial Stout that's about 9% and I love it. I would leave it if you like that type of beer.

After talking to my parter, she assured me we used all 5 gallons. It mustve been soaked up by the grain bag and also a bit of evaporation.

Thanx for the advice. Noticed youre about 175 miles from me. Ive got an empty growler sitting in my cabinet from the KY Brewing Co. I love that Bourbon Barrel Ale they have. I have to drive over the state line to get it. Only 6 miles from KY, but I cant get it here in TN.

I always end up with much less water than I started with so I always boil extra water to top off when I'm finished to 5 gallons. And I agree KY Ale and KY Bourbon Barrel are both fantastic local choices. I've thought about getting a little bourbon barrel myself to experiment with aging my brews. Always wanted to try a bourbon IPA.

Spitfire6 said:
Noticed the above while reading through. Don't aerate hot wort, prior to chilling. Aerate after chilling, before or after pitching yeast.

Why shouldn't you aerate hot wort? I always transfer my wort via pouring to my primary while hot. Never seemed to cause any problems. Not saying your wrong just wondering the logic behind your statement?

After talking to my parter, she assured me we used all 5 gallons.
Wait, you're brewing with a woman... no wonder you were distracted, you were probably drinking beer at the same time. I think I've solved your problem, send her over to help me brew.

Rancher

Why shouldn't you aerate hot wort? I always transfer my wort via pouring to my primary while hot. Never seemed to cause any problems. Not saying your wrong just wondering the logic behind your statement?

You don't want to risk hot-side aeration. Some people believe it in, some don't, but it can cause some oxidation issues because the o2 binds with the wort differently than when you aerate cooled wort.

Wait, you're brewing with a woman... no wonder you were distracted, you were probably drinking beer at the same time. I think I've solved your problem, send her over to help me brew.

Rancher

Yes, brewing with a woman is probably a bad idea. They can probably brew better than you, and make you look bad. :D

Classic volume mistake - need take note of the difference between batch size and boil size.

Just came across this thread and it jumped out at me that the volume must have been wrong. OG is simply measuring the density of the liquid, most of 'extra' density is made up of sugars which get fermented.

Maybe too late now but I would simply top up with sterilised (boiled and allowed to cool) water. It's neither rocket nor an exact science this homebrew.

Thanx for the tips yall. Buggs, you wouldnt leave it be and just go for the thicker Imperial Stout style instead of risking watering it down by mistake? Ive taken a few SG readings along the way to monitor the fermentations progress and it tastes pretty good. A bit thick though, but my brewing partner loves those overly thickass beers. Im not a big fan, but like a red-headed stepchild, if its yours, youre gonna love it unconditionally!

What Yooper said. I might change "Some people believe in it" to "Most people believe in it". Every brewing book I have cautions against aerating hot wort. Papazian advises that you even avoid splashing hot wort.

Wether you believe in it or not there is no reason to intentionally do it. Chilling in the boil kettle before transfer is the way to go. In any case it eliminates the danger of handling 200+ F liguid.

I had the same thing happen on my last batch, but it was from an AHS kit for a double IPA. Target OG was 1.089 but I hit 1.112.
Partial Mash.
2 lbs. base/other grains
6 lbs. LME
3 lbs. corn sugar
5.25 gallon batch

The only thing I can think of is that I squeezed the bag when the directions said not to, but that seems like a big jump for just squeezing 4 lbs of grains.

I ran out of room in my carboy while topping off so I didn't know what else to do at that point other than to just let it ride.

Would it be possible to add some more top off water to the secondary when I rack and get some space freed up from the trub loss? Or is that generally not advisable?

Regards,
Phil

Now that I think about it, I didnt aearate the hto (200 deg) wort. I let it sit and cool to 140-160 range, then add 1 gallon of chilled water (which brings it down to 120) then I added a gallon to the fermenter bucket and poured the 120 deg wort into that. Then if I needed to, I would ice it down in the sink to bring it down to pitching temp. I was under the impression that you want to aerate the wort to soome degree just prior to pitching, for the benifit of the yeast.

I've never taken a gravity reading, on my sixth batch. They have all been very good.

Now that I think about it, I didn,t aerate the hto (200 deg) wort. I let it sit and cool to 140-160 range, then add 1 gallon of chilled water (which brings it down to 120) then I added a gallon to the fermenter bucket and poured the 120 deg wort into that. Then if I needed to, I would ice it down in the sink to bring it down to pitching temp. I was under the impression that you want to aerate the wort to soome degree just prior to pitching, for the benifit of the yeast.

I'm sure you will be OK then. I think I read somewhere that 160 degrees and above was the caution area.

Yes, aerating before pitching yeast is a good thing. I have always just used the "Rock the Baby" method, at pitching temp rock the heck out of that 6.5 gallon carboy for at least a couple minutes (until it starts to wear me out anyway). Then I pitch, then rock a few more times to distribute the yeast starter.

To answer your earlier question Daffy I think I would have watered it down because I am not keen on beers that strong but you could just stick with it - will be an interesting session round your place!

On the technical side, I don't see any problem "watering down" afterwards - the critical time to get the viscosity/consistency of the liquid right in the mash (mash stiffness - water to grain ratio).

About aeration - not well read on that so interested to hear these different views.

Regarding pitching temperature - 160F is way too high. Working in celsius - 37 is a conservative upper limit. This is yeast - it is alive.

Back