Higher OG than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
I done an extract Dunkel tonight and the target OG was 1.042-1.053 and I ended up with 1.061. Here is how it went down

Partial mash specialty grains for 40min at 163F in 2.5gal
Sparged grain at 170F 3.5gal
Brought to a boil, removed from heat and added 3.3 wheat LME, 1lb maltodextrin and bittering hops
boiled for 40min added aroma hops
boiled 10 min removed from heat added 3.3 wheat LME and placed wort chiller in
flame out and cooled to 70F then splashed in sanitized carboy and added approximately .45gal of water
aereated with shaking for 10-12min pulled gravity sample then pitched munich yeast.

Not sure why the gravity would be so much higher so any help is appreciated
:mug:

Did you account for the maltodextrin when calculating your OG?

Or maybe your volumes were off somewhere?

Did you account for the maltodextrin when calculating your OG?

Or maybe your volumes were off somewhere?

I did not account for the Malto but after reading about it the difference should make it +\- 0.004. Is that correct? Should have I taken this into account? If so I'm still getting a reading of 1.057 which is better but still missing the window in looking for.

By missing my OG what can I look for in my product? The wort tasted outstanding with great color and smell so I'm curious to what I need to watch for or be worried about.

According to this post you're actually looking at a 0.008 increase, which is right where you are.

Since the increase seems to be from the malto, you're probably just going to get more body and mouthfeel. If it was from fermentables you'd get higher ABV and maybe a little more flavor and again body and mouthfeel if it were to push up your FG.

According to this post you're actually looking at a 0.008 increase, which is right where you are.

Since the increase seems to be from the malto, you're probably just going to get more body and mouthfeel. If it was from fermentables you'd get higher ABV and maybe a little more flavor and again body and mouthfeel if it were to push up your FG.

Makes sense since what I looked at was for 8oz of Malto. So the 1lb would double the 0.004. Is that correct? Thanks for the info because I have not used the Malto before nor read that it could increase the OG. Makes sense like I said though. Thanks again

Back