High Water Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWitGuy

Reaction score
Hey fellas

So I brewed a batch last night and with the help of using BS2 it gave me clean and clear directions but I had forgot to change the equipment setting from a 10 gal. batch to a 5 gal batch. So in essence I had the right amount of grains but brewed with waaaaay too much water. I continued with the process and it's now kegged up. So my question is should I just dump this out and start over or is the beer still "drinkable"? F uck this sucks, I guess I'll settle for some Bud Light at this point.

What was your OG? You might still have something that's drinkable, albeit watered down. Since you've kegged it, carb it and taste. If you don't like it, you can toss it and consider it lesson learned.

Well, what was your final volume? I'm not sure I can see how a final volume of 10 gallons could even fit in a 5 gallon fermentor. (Or were you using a 10 gallon fermenter?)

I don't know Beer Smith well but if you entered for 10 gallon *equipment* and not 10 gallon *batch size*. I *think* what is miscalculated are things like boil-off and sparge volume and stuff like that and that stuff will effect your results a *little* bit. But the results won't be anywhere near as extreme if you had entered for 10 gallon batch size, in which you'd have 10 gallons of extremely weak beer.

I *think*.

More info, please.

Back