• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

High torque/low speed motor for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
I'm preparing to welcome a Monster Mill MM2-2.0 to the family for Christmas, so I'd like to find a direct drive motor to power it...I just can't find one in the $100 range. If anyone has one, let me know.

I used to get motors from old computer equipment like printers . they have good torque and low RPM . Might check out any computer surplus local or online . Also there are lots of general surplus dealers . We used to have a place called Boeing surplus that had lots of stuff like that .

I was thinking about doing the same to save my expensive drill from being rendered useless after a while .

Keep in mind you may have to deal with the odd voltage of 36 or 24 volts . 150 - 250
RPM is good for a mill

perhaps a cheap 110 at 900 RPM $15 - 30 bucks .Put a gear on the shaft of the mill and motor to cut down the RPM

The ebay motor does not mention either the torque or the amperage, at least I did not see it. Regardless of how the heck it is geared, you need a certain hp to grind grain rapidly, not all day. The amps will tell you the hp, IMO you need a minimum of 1/4 hp, better to have 1/3 or 1/2 hp.
1/4 hp = 186W @12v needs 15A, @120v needs 1.5A
1/3 hp = 224W @12v needs 19A, @120v needs 1.9A
1/2 hp = 373W @12v needs 30A, @120v needs 3A

A small 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor at 120 V with proper sized pulleys (and a belt guard) will do the job nicely.

The geared motor should have a flexible shaft or other arrangement to allow for mis-alignment.

I wonder how many RPM 13 fpm would for that HB winch .
for 50 bucks it might be worth a try . could buy it then just measure how many turns it takes to bring in the 13 feet of cable and if it is too slow for milling , take it back .

The ebay motor does not mention either the torque or the amperage, at least I did not see it. Regardless of how the heck it is geared, you need a certain hp to grind grain rapidly, not all day. The amps will tell you the hp, IMO you need a minimum of 1/4 hp, better to have 1/3 or 1/2 hp.
1/4 hp = 186W @12v needs 15A, @120v needs 1.5A
1/3 hp = 224W @12v needs 19A, @120v needs 1.9A
1/2 hp = 373W @12v needs 30A, @120v needs 3A

A small 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor at 120 V with proper sized pulleys (and a belt guard) will do the job nicely.

The geared motor should have a flexible shaft or other arrangement to allow for mis-alignment.

I found a electric motor 110 cheap at 900 RPM but can not find it again . should have bookmarked it .

HF also has a 1/2 low speed corded drill that might work well for this . not sure what the deal is with the price but it is 49.99 on sale for 49.99

Back