High Temperature PBW Solution for Clean-In-Place Submersible Pump Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people using buckets filled with PBW, water, and a submersible pump to do clean-in-place on their keggles/brewhemoths/etc. Five-Star recommends that the PBW solution be between 130F-180F. I've only seen one pump available on Home Depot's website that can handle water in this temperature range. And it's only 140F and it's a $150. That's a little steep for me.

So what are you all using? Are you just using solution hotter than the pump recommends? Are there other options?

140F should be OK for CIP. I work in a dairy plant, and when we run CIP circuits, the max temperature during caustic (aka PBW) cycles is 155F. 140F should be more than sufficient for beer circuits - you don't get nearly the soil load making beer versus making cream cheese.

The pump can probably handle 150-160F just fine - I'll bet the temperature restriction has something to do with pump tolerances or lubrication, so worst case, overshooting a little is just going to result in reduced lifespan.

I would pay attention to the temperature rating of the pump... This summer I had a cheaper pump blow its seal because it got too hot. Lubricating oil leaked out of the pump and coated the conical... Took a few hours to clean out and was a general PITA. This time I spent the money on a better pump and pay closer attention to temps.

I would pay attention to the temperature rating of the pump... This summer I had a cheaper pump blow its seal because it got too hot. Lubricating oil leaked out of the pump and coated the conical... Took a few hours to clean out and was a general PITA. This time I spent the money on a better pump and pay closer attention to temps.

What did you end up buying?

I ended up buying a stainless sewage pump at home depot rated at 9000 gph, new of course. No worry about heavy particulate/clogging and is rated to 130F. I believe the brand was flotec.

Back