High O.G?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
I just finished my second extract batch. Belgian Tripel from Brewers Best. The O.G. Range is 1.083- 1.086. Mine is 1.088 at 70F. based on online temperature conversions( because I lost the one that came with my hydrometer it puts me closer to 1.091? That seems way to high. Any advice for me? or did I just jack up the conversion...

Is your hydrometer calibrated at 68º?
Mine is and there is no real adjustment from 70 to 68.
Usually with an extract kit you can expect to hit your target or near enough unless you really messed up. I'd be surprised if you were that far off.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it's my understanding that it's hard to miss O.G. when brewing with extracts provided one tops off to the proper volume.

One common cause of 'off' O.G. readings in extract brews is stratification. That is, if the top off water isn't mixed very thoroughly with the wort, there can be 'heavy' and 'light' spots and your O.G. may appear to be off based on what part of the vessel the hydrometer sample is taken from.

I can't remember what my hydrometer was calibrated to. I only topped off about a quart. And mixed it really well. I'm guessing it is just a calibration issue.

Me, I'm guessing that the difference between 1.086 and 1.088 is about as insignificant as it gets.

Enjoy your brew, it'll be fine.

All of my hydrometers are factory calibrated to 60 F. it should say this somewhere in the hydrometer (mine say it down towards the bulb). #1 reason for missing OG in extract batches (in my experience on these forums) is overboiling/under topping off the wort. If you mixed your wort well with the top off water then chances are your final volume is less than 5 gal. Not a problem, but explains the increased gravity.

Edit: like frazier said though, 1.086 to 1.088 is a pretty damn small difference and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

so far I have no air lock activity. I have heard of bad seals causing this. It is only the second batch with this bucket/fermenter. Anything I should do? I mainly want to make sure that I don't have any issues with my yeast.

Airlocks are not a good indication of activity..

Give it time, it will work its magic..

I would be curious what kind of yeast you used, if White labs, did you make a starter? Dry or wyeast may take a couple days to show good activity. White labs will go without a starter, but could take a long long time.

Likely needed a starter given how high your OG was. If not, yeast could be a bit stressed.

To correct my own post, I meant 60º and not 68º.

That said, twistr seems spot on but if this were a kit, I just kind of wonder why two packets of yeast weren't included.

What can I do to see if it is fermenting? take a early reading maybe.. Just don't want to have a $50 bucket of wort. I read the ingredients list for the kit again, and it was only supposed to have the one pack of sachet.

Do you know the liquid level when you added to primary? I sometimes use a flashlight through the bucket to see if I can tell if a krausen has formed. Other than that, may just have to open and see if you have a krausen layer or take a reading.

I recently brewed an british style IPA that I topped the volume off to 5 gallons. During primary fermentation i have lost approx 1/2 gallon in volume through the blow off tube. is it ok to add water (boiled, or distilled) to bring the volume back up to the 5 gallon mark?
How about adding water to bring up to 5 gallon mark :off:once i transfer to a secondary for dry hopping:off:http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/offtopic.gif

I recently brewed an british style IPA that I topped the volume off to 5 gallons. During primary fermentation i have lost approx 1/2 gallon in volume through the blow off tube. is it ok to add water (boiled, or distilled) to bring the volume back up to the 5 gallon mark?
How about adding water to bring up to 5 gallon mark :off:once i transfer to a secondary for dry hopping:off:http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/offtopic.gif

Technically yes, but why would you. You'd chance getting an infection and also dilute the beer.

So chalk it up to an error, and let it ride.

Back