High IBU West Coast (Old) Style IPA Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Long story short, I've been out of brewing for over 3 years (started with a flood and then family stuff).

Ready to jump back in. I was planning on a Ruination (1.0) clone as it was one of my all time favorites and had brewed it many times, but my LHBS is short on Centennial leaf right now.

So, any tried and true suggestions on a substitute for that? Cascade?

OR, point me toward a proven similar recipe. (5 gal all grain, please)

Thanks!

Any opinion on substituting Amarillo for Centennial?

I don't like Amarillo. To me it tastes soapy. Always. I realize that's something weird about me, but IMHO it's a unique flavor and not a sub for Centennial.

I'd go with the Cascade. Much more similar flavor profile.

Granted, if you love Amarillo, you might want to use it anyway. It's just not a clean sub for Centennial IMHO.

While I love both Centennial and Cascade, to me they are fairly distinct hops. Centennial is a much more floral hop where Cascade is much heavier on the citrus side.

That said, I do think that many of the classic C hops play well together...Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus...with Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra mixing in well for more "modern" flavors. I have been brewing a few IPAs and Pale Ales with a mix of those hop combos, and it is really hard to go too wrong.

Jameson Old Fashioned
20220428_180114.jpg

Back