high foam, low carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblott1

Reaction score
i'm brand new to homebrew, but i bought a conical fermenter and a glastender barback keggerator to start things of right. u could say i'm excited about beer. i kegged my first batch and let it set (@ 37 degrees) for 2 weeks on 12psi and it turned out great. then i kegged a wheat beer, let it chill for 24hrs, set it to 30psi and rocked for about 15mins. the next day it was all foam and very little carbination. so i diconnected the co2 and rocked it some more and let the pressure off (i thought i over carbed it). now 24hrs later its still all foam, any idea what im doin wrong?????? i have a 20lb co2 tank and 8ft of beer line

You overcarbed it. 30 PSI and rocking for 15 minutes at 37F? Foam city, my friend. It tastes flat because all the CO2 is crashing out of solution when it foams, so even though it's overcarbed in the keg, it's undercarbed in your glass.

Keep releasing pressure, it should improve.

is there a better way to release pressure than shaking and pulling the release valve over and over again? cause that cause a lot of foam to come out and i figure it also wastes beer

is there a better way to release pressure than shaking and pulling the release valve over and over again? cause that cause a lot of foam to come out and i figure it also wastes beer

Yes, DON'T shake it. Just pull the release valve.

Yes, DON'T shake it. Just pull the release valve.

Exactly. Don't shake to carb, don't shake to decarb. Never shake, and you won't have these problems. Leave your gas off, and pull the release. Leave it alone for a few hours to build pressure, and pull the release again. You may have to do this multiple times to get it right. Each time, before you pull the release, pull 4 oz of beer and see where you are at. Once it's right, hook it back up to gas.

I think I just read my problem. Overcarbed in the keg and under carbed in the glass. I think if I just let it sit and continue to purge it I should be fine. Let me know if that's what you are thinking.

Latest posts

Back