High Finishing gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xantus954

Reaction score
I've been having some problems moving from partial extract brewing to BIAB, all my beers tasted fine but they were all finishing with much higher gravity than I inteneded. They usually were getting stuck about 1.020 - 1.026. I figured this was due to me not getting my mash temps exactly right with BIAB in my first few attempts. So i promised my fantasy football league i'd keg a beer for them this year, not wanting to run into any issues I bought a brewers best Dunkleweizen kit and extra 3.3 lb can of coopers wheat extract (past date, was on sale for 5.00 bucks at the LHBS)

The original gravity was 1.070 and its been stuck at 1.028 for days. I've tried stirring and its just won't start up again. I did have a blowout on day 3 I woke up and it was spitting yeast at the airlock, but i cleaned it up and put a blowoff tube on and it continued fine.

I just don't know whats causing the high finishing gravity, the only thing in common with the BIAB batches is a additive called superferment that I add to everything I make. I'm thinking maybe after a year or so its gone bad and is giving me problems? I use it in wines as though and have never had a problem with them getting stuck.

Anyone ever run into this or have an advice for what could be causing this? As for this beer Im just gonna have to keg it, it tastes alright and finished at 5.5% abv so it should be fine. Just want to know why i keep having this issue.

The old can of LME could be the culprit. But I used a 2 year old Cooper's OS lager once & it fermented down to like 1.010. Maybe your mash temps were too high? Or your crush wasn't that good? Underpitching might do it too.

Back