High final gravity -- wort or yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
Hi,
In both batch of what I am calling a English amber bitter. I got a highish finishing gravity 1.02 and maybe a little more starting at 1.052.

I used pale DME and amber LME extract. I used Safale S-04 English Ale. I did the second batch because I messed up the first batch primarily because I did not aerate properly. (It tasted like beer and drinkable never the less) The second I aerated properly and the fermentation boiled like mad and blew off -- so I was expecting a lower FG. But that was not the case.

I am wondering if it is the S-05 or it is the extract having more unfermentables.

You can blame the extract, in my opinion.
If you have access to other brands, try a different extract next time and see what happen.

How long did you give to ferment out and what temps?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Vigorous fermenation. Checked gravity at 1 week and again at bottling 3 weeks. No difference. Finished -- except maybe I should have agitated to get more. Temps 68 room, but in the are probably 72.
The yeast flocculates very quickly. Probably at 1 1/2 weeks the beer was clear.

How long did you give to ferment out and what temps?

I had all Bries pilsner malt brew, with different yeast and it went down to 1.014. So with two variables, I could not tell. I might do the all pilsner and go back to the S-05 yeast.
You can blame the extract, in my opinion.
If you have access to other brands, try a different extract next time and see what happen.

With an OG of 1.052 and that yeast attenuation i get a final gravity range of 12-15 so it's not that far off but with so many variables its hard to say. Beer might have a little more mouthfeel than intended but otherwise should be ok.

S-05 has always worked very well for me. It routinely ferments down to the 1.010 range when I mash for it. The only strain I've had issues with is nottingham. Same wort into 2 fermenters notty recently takes forever to start and has a slight off flavor. These sachets are not it the recall group. It seems like lately there have been a ton of questions about extract brewers getting stuck at 1.020 so like stated above I'm thinking its the extract. Of my few extract brews I had 2 finish in that range 1.018-1.020. Good luck and hopefully fresher extract will be out soon

S-05 usually work great for me. On a beer with1.052 SG i usually get down to the 1.012-1.010 range, doing extract brews.

I mis-named the yeast. I was pitching S-04. The English ale yeast.

I know that English Ales are low in ABV typically. I am wondering if is yeast (an thus this one) that make the beer have low ABV.

S-05 has always worked very well for me.

Back