High FG prior to bottling; priming sugar needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
Yo- I made a 5.25 gallon batch American Stout, OG 1.060, That didn't quite ferment to the level of Attenuation desired. It only made it to 1.022, probably because I choose not to make a starter and just pitched a Whitelabs 001 slant directly into the wort. After 3 weeks I tried adding one packet of US-05 but it was unable to trigger more fermenation. it still tastes good, kind of like a sweet stout in the high 4% ABV range.

Question is, should I add priming sugar at bottling or should I just depend on the remaining sugars that did not ferment and the added US-05 yeast to handle the carbonating? Just trying to avoid bottle bombs...

Thanks for your response. Yes this was an extract with specialty grains batch, how could you tell?

I ended up bottling with a FG of 1.021- good enough, I think I just underpitched from the start.

You probably should have made a starter, but I don't think you would have gotten much more attenuation out of it. Extract beers always finish a little higher than they should. Especially stouts for some reason.

I got 80% out of Wyeast British Ale in an extract brew, pitching directly from the pack.

and I got 81% out of Wyeast American Ale II in another extract brew, when I made a 1L starter.

and (so far, only been 10 days) I've gotten 77% out of WL001 in a partial mash; I double-pitched WL001.

22 seems high to me, what temps were you fermenting at? WL001 likes to be between 68-73 (per WL), so if you were fermenting colder than that, it might have pooped out.

Back