High FG Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyDarkside

Reaction score
I'm hoping I could get some help. So I brewed up a foreign extra stout that turned out great, so decided to mod the recipe a suite my tastes. Here is my dark rye:

6.6lb DME
2lb munich extract
1lb amber extract
1lb flaked rye
1lb crystal
6oz chocolate
9oz caramel
8oz rosted barley
8oz willamet
.5oz cascade
1lb chinook
WL irish ale

My OG was 1.08. I know I didn't thoroughly aerate my wort before pitching, but it started fermenting well pretty quickly. After 2 weeks, my FG was still 1.03, so I aerated using an aquarium pump and a bubble loop, then re-pitched, but it never fermented. Now, after about another week, gravity is still 1.03. Should I just bottle now? If so, should I use less priming sugar?

As a note, I did add appx 1.5T of vanilla extract when pitching. Also, I've been told aerating was a stupid thing to do. I does still taste good, though, a week later.

Did you make a small starter before re-pitching? pitching yeast into an environment with alcohol can shock them and they may go dormant. I might suggest not aerating after 2 weeks due to oxidation. Either way, your beer will be beer. I'm not sure if i would bottle that, but in that case I'm really just not sure.

Make sure to aerate enough next time and pitch a starter of yeast. Aerating 2 weeks later is a very bad idea, probably get a nice cardboard flavor from it.
Also is that 1lb Chinook a typo? Might as well bottle, I doubt you'll see any change in fg either way.

Did you keep the fermenter at a controlled temperature? Yeah for something that big you need to consider using some pure O2 with a diffusion stone. There's calculators out there for figuring out how long to keep it flowing to hit a certain PPM. The whole aerating post fermentation isn't a good idea I agree. If it hasn't changed, you can try bottling it, but I would recommend putting the bottles in a big plastic storage container that way if for some reason they do ferment more sugars, the bottle bombs will be contained. Good luck

JohnnyDarkside said:
I'm hoping I could get some help. So I brewed up a foreign extra stout that turned out great, so decided to mod the recipe a suite my tastes. Here is my dark rye: 6.6lb DME 2lb munich extract 1lb amber extract 1lb flaked rye 1lb crystal 6oz chocolate 9oz caramel 8oz rosted barley 8oz willamet .5oz cascade 1lb chinook WL irish ale My OG was 1.08. I know I didn't thoroughly aerate my wort before pitching, but it started fermenting well pretty quickly. After 2 weeks, my FG was still 1.03, so I aerated using an aquarium pump and a bubble loop, then re-pitched, but it never fermented. Now, after about another week, gravity is still 1.03. Should I just bottle now? If so, should I use less priming sugar? As a note, I did add appx 1.5T of vanilla extract when pitching. Also, I've been told aerating was a stupid thing to do. I does still taste good, though, a week later.

So you aerated after fermentation? You probably oxidized your beer. I hope you didn't and the brew gods are in your favor. The only thing is try is raising your temps to see of that arouses the yeast if not then it's done..

Latest posts

Back