High Dry Hop Temp, effect on beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
I ferment in a dorm fridge with a temp controller at 20 C (68 F). Dry hop with pellets for a week at the same temp. Just discovered after 2 days the temp probe was outside the fridge. Controller read 16 C (60 F) but the actual temp inside the fridge was 57 C (134 F) as heater kept trying to reach 20 C. Apparently the beer was at 57 C for most of the 2 days. What effect, if any, do people think holding the beer at 134 F for 2 days while dry hopping will have on the beer?

Some of my thoughts: May get higher or lower hop extraction giving higher or lower IBU's. Don't know if heat speeds up or slows down hop extraction.

May get tannin extraction. I know mash temps above 170 F can extract tannins from grain. Wondering if hop pellets contain tannins and if so, would 134 F extract the tannins?

Yeast will be totally dead. Obviously I've never done that but I would think the higher then temp the better the extraction, since boiling seems to work good lol I wouldn't suspect any tannin flavors. But possible grassy flavors. Try to pull a sample of it and taste it.

Since you were dry hopping, I assume feremntation was complete.
Dry hopping at that temp will probably affect the flavor, but may be a non-issue.
Tannin extraction only occures from elevated mash/sparge temps (over 170F), and since the beer is off the grains, I wouldn't expect any off flavors from that.
Taste it... it's probably fine.

OK, if the yeast is totally dead I will need to add some when bottle conditioning, otherwise no carbonation. This beer took 2 full packs of 05 yeast. Thinking of adding a half pack of re-hydrated 05 yeast for a 5 gal batch. Any thoughts?

OK, if the yeast is totally dead I will need to add some when bottle conditioning, otherwise no carbonation. This beer took 2 full packs of 05 yeast. Thinking of adding a half pack of re-hydrated 05 yeast for a 5 gal batch. Any thoughts?

Sounds spot on.

Latest posts

Back