high alpha sterling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrannyRock

Reaction score
Just received some Sterling hops from YVH. The sticker on the bag says 11.3% alpha acids. Can this be right? Seems unusually high for Sterling.

I’ve never seen any that high, most of mine have been in the 7.5-9% range, but I would trust YVH to know what they’re doing. It certainly couldn’t hurt to send them an email and ask though.

I got some on sale last year with indeterminate aa %. The seller suggested I assume 7%, but when I brewed with them it became clear it was quite a bit higher... may 10%. My suggestion is to use an ounce or two in the last 5 minutes or so and see what you end up with. Any miscalculations should be minimized that way.

Last edited:
My last two Sterling purchases came in at 9.4% AA and 8.4% AA respectively. I would think that 8.4% is more the norm. I don't know what to think of Sterling at 11.3%. Seems unusually high.

Back