Hiccups with fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagner3430

Reaction score
I've finally got my chamber built and wired up. She's running but I can't seem to get the temp. below 24.5 degrees Celsius and the compact refrigerator is getting really warm. What have I done wrong here?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You need to provide some more info.

If a mouse running on a threadmill is your source of power that might be the problem :)

I didn't have to do any rewiring for the fridge. I made my own temp controller (STC-1000). So I have a hot plug and cool plug.

Is the compressor running consistently? At room temp is your STC registering the correct temp? What are your settings on the STC? How confident are you in your ferm chamber insulation (pics would be helpful)?

Compact refrigerators usually have the coils in the side walls of the fridge. If you don't have enough space between the sides/top of the fridge and whatever is around it, the outside of the fridge will get warm. This gives you inadequate heat exchange so the inside of your fridge never gets cold and shortens the life of the fridge (making it work too hard to tray and get cool). If your chamber encloses the fridge completely, this may be your problem. Without more information this is only a guess.

Thanks GPSaxophone. That seems to be right since the sides are the hottest and I used spray foam to create a seal around the fridge. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Latest posts

Back